With Fulham, Hammersmith shared in
the incursion of the Danes in 879, and it is especially
mentioned in the Chronicle of Roger de Hoveden that
they wintered in the island of Hame, which Faulkner
thinks is the ait or island near Chiswick, which,
he says, must have considerably decreased in size
during the nine centuries that have elapsed. In
1647 Cromwell removed his quarters from Isleworth
to Hammersmith, and “when he was at Sir Nicholas
Crispe’s house, the headquarters were near the
church.” The general officers were quartered
at Butterwick, now Bradmore House, then the property
of the Earl of Mulgrave.
Perambulation. The
first thing noticeable after crossing the boundary
from Kensington is St. Paul’s School. It
stands on the south side of the road, an imposing
mass of fiery red brick in an ornamental style.
The present building was erected in 1884 by Alfred
Waterhouse, and a statue to the memory of Dean Colet,
the founder, standing within the grounds was unveiled
in 1902. It was designed by W. Hamo Thornycroft,
R.A. The frontage of the building measures 350
feet, and the grounds, including the site, cover six
acres. Dr. John Colet, D.D., Dean of St. Paul’s,
founded his school in 1509 in St. Paul’s Churchyard,
but it is not known how far he incorporated with it
the then existing choir-school. The number of
his pupils was 153, in accordance with the number of
fishes in the miraculous draught, and the foundation
scholars are limited to the same number at the present
day. The old school stood on the east side of
St. Paul’s Churchyard, and suffered so much in
the Great Fire that it had to be completely rebuilt.
When, in the nineteenth century, the site had become
very valuable, the school was removed to Hammersmith,
and its original site is now covered by business premises.
Dean Colet endowed the foundation by leaving to it
lands that were estimated by Stow to be worth L120
annually, and that are now valued at over L20,000.
The school is governed under a scheme framed by the
Charity Commissioners in 1900, and part of the income
is diverted to maintain the new girls’ school
in Brook Green.
Lily, the grammarian, was the first
headmaster, and the roll of the pupils includes many
great names the antiquaries Leland, Camden,
and Strype; John Milton, prince of poets; Halley,
the astronomer; Samuel Pepys; Sir Philip Francis,
supposed author of the “Letters of Junius”;
the famous Duke of Marlborough; among Bishops, Cumberland,
Fisher, Ollivant and Lee; among statesmen, Charles,
Duke of Manchester, Spencer Compton (Earl of Wilmington),
Prime Minister; and Lord Chancellor Truro; also Sir
Frederick Pollock, Lord Hannen, Sir Frederick Halliday,
and Benjamin Jowett.
The preparatory school, called Colet
Court, stands opposite on the northern side of the
road. It was founded in 1881, and owns two and
a half acres of land. On the same side Kensington
Co-operative Stores covers the site of White Cottage,
for some time the residence of Charles Keene.
Next to the Red Cow public-house lived
Dr. Burney, D.D., LL.D., learned father of a celebrated
daughter, who became afterwards Madame D’Arblay.
He kept a school here for seven years from 1786.
There are other old houses in the vicinity, but to
none of them is there attached any special interest.
The Convent of the Poor Sisters of Nazareth is in a
large brick building on the south side of the road.
This was built in 1857 for the convent purposes.
It is the mother-house of the Nazareth nuns, so that
the numbers continually vary, many passing through
for their noviciate. The nuns collect alms for
the aged poor and children, and many of the poor are
thus sustained. Besides this, there are a number
of imbecile or paralytic children who live permanently
in the convent. The charity is not confined to
Roman Catholics.
The Latymer Foundation School is a
plain brick building standing a little back from the
highroad. It bears the Latymer arms, and a cross
in stone over the doorway, as well as the date of
the foundation. The Latymer charity was established
in 1824 by the will of Edward Latymer. He left
several pieces of land in the hands of trustees, who
were to apply the rents to the following uses:
“To elect and choose eight poor
boys inhabiting Hammersmith within the age of
twelve and above the age of seven, and provide for
every boy a doublet and a pair of breeches of
frieze or leather, one shirt, one pair of stockings,
and a pair of shoes on the 1st of November; and
also to provide yearly, against Ascension Day, a doublet
and a pair of breeches of coarse canvas lined, and
deliver the same unto the said boys, and also
a shirt, one pair of stockings, and a pair of
shoes; and that on the left sleeve of every poor boy’s
doublet a cross of red cloth or baize should be
fastened and worn; and that the feofees should
cause the boys to be put to some petty school
to learn to read English till they attain thirteen,
and to instruct them in some part of God’s
true religion. The allowance of clothing
to cease at thirteen. And that the feofees shall
also elect six poor aged men of honest conversation
inhabiting Hammersmith, and provide for every
one of them coats or cassocks of frieze or cloth,
and deliver the same upon the 1st of November in
every year, a cross of red cloth or baize to be
fastened on the left sleeve; and that yearly,
on Ascension Day, the feofees should pay to each man
ten shillings in money.”
To this charity were added various
sums from benefactors from time to time, and the number
of recipients was increased gradually, until in 1855
there were 100 boys and 45 almsmen. At that date
the men’s clothing consisted of a body coat,
breeches, waistcoat, hat, pair of boots, stockings,
and shirt one year, and the next, great-coat, breeches,
pair of boots, stockings, shirt, and hat. The
boys received coat, waistcoat, and trousers, cap,
pair of stockings, shirt, pair of bands, pair of boots.
Also on November 1, cap, pair of stockings, shirt,
pair of bands, and pair of boots. At present
part of the money is given in alms, and the rest is
devoted to the Lower Latymer School and the Upper Latymer
School, built 1894, situated in King Street West.
At the back of the Latymer Foundation,
in Great Church Lane, is the Female Philanthropic
Society. The object is for the reformation of
young women convicted for a first offence or addicted
to petty pilfering.
Opposite is a recreation-ground and
St. Paul’s parochial room, a small temporary
iron building. In King’s Mews, Great Church
Lane, Cipriani, the historical painter and engraver,
lived at one time. He died here in 1785.
The entrance to Bradmore House, the oldest house in
Hammersmith, is in the lane. The grounds stretch
out a long way eastward, and one or two old cedars
are still growing here. The eastern portion of
the house has a fine front with fluted pilasters,
with Ionic capitals running up to a stone parapet
surmounted by urns. The windows are circular-headed,
and those over the central doorway belong to a great
room, 30 feet by 20, and 20 in height. The house,
though much altered, is in its origin part of a very
old building named Butterwick House, built by Edmund,
third Baron Sheffield and Earl of Mulgrave, about the
latter end of Queen Elizabeth’s reign.
The name was taken from a village in Lincolnshire
where the Sheffield family had long lived. This
Earl of Mulgrave was grandfather of John, Duke of
Buckingham. He died in 1646, and is buried in
the church. The estate probably passed from the
Sheffield family soon after his death, for in 1653
the manor-house or farm of Butterwick, called the
Great House, “passed to Margaret Clapham, wife
of Christopher Clapham and widow of Robert Moyle, and
her son Walter Moyle after her.” In 1677
it was conveyed by Walter Moyle for the use of Anne
Cleeve and her heirs. She aliened it to Mr. Ferne
in 1700. The house was greatly modernized by
Mr. Ferne, Receiver-General of the Customs, who added
some rooms to the north-east, “much admired,”
says Lysons, “for their architectural beauty.”
He intended this part of the house
for Mrs. Oldfield, the actress, but she never inhabited
it. One of Mr. Ferne’s daughters married
a Mr. Turner, who in 1736 sold the house to Elijah
Impey, father of Sir Elijah Impey, Chief Justice of
Bengal. He divided the modern part built by Mr.
Ferne from the older building, and called it Bradmore
House, and under this name it was used as a school
for more than a century. It was again divided
into two parts, and the western portion, which fronts
the church, is of dark brick with red-brick facings,
which glow through the overhanging creepers.
The older part was sold by the Impey
family in 1821, and fifteen years later was pulled
down. Some small houses, which still stand on
the south side, with irregular tiled roofs and walls
covered with heavy green ivy, were built on the site.
St. Paul’s Church, the foundation-stone of which
was laid July, 1882, by the late Duke of Albany, is
opposite. The square pinnacled tower rises to
a considerable height. The original structure
was much more ancient. Bowack says: “The
limits of this chapel was divided from Fulham before
the year 1622, as appears in a benefaction to the
poor of Fulham.”
The chapel of ease to the parish of
Fulham was founded in 1628, and opened in 1631.
The whole cost was about L2,000, of which Sir Nicholas
Crispe gave L700. This church was the
last consecrated by Archbishop Laud. The old
monumental tablets have been carefully preserved, and
hang on the walls of the present building. The
most important object in the church is a bronze bust
of Charles I. on a pedestal 8 or 9 feet high, of black
and white marble. Beneath the bust is the inscription:
“This effigies was erected
by special appointment of Sir Nicholas Crispe,
knight and Baronet, as a grateful commemoration of
that glorious Martyr Kinge Charles I. of blessed Memory.”
Below, on a pedestal of black marble,
is an urn containing the heart of the loyal subject,
and on the pedestal beneath is written:
“Within this Urne is entombed
the heart of Sir Nicholas Crispe, knight and
Baronet, a Loyall sharer in yhe sufferings of his Late
and Present Majesty. Hee first setled the Trade
of Gould from Guyny, and there built the Castle of
Cormantine. Died 25 Fe aged 67 years.”
Sir Nicholas Crispe’s name is
closely identified with Hammersmith. He was born
in 1598, the son of a London merchant, and, though
inheriting a considerable fortune, he was bred up
to business. He was subsequently knighted by
King Charles I., and made one of the farmers of the
King’s Customs. During the whole of the
Civil War he never faltered from his allegiance, but
raised money and carried supplies to the King constantly.
He had built Brandenburg House , on which he
is said to have spent L23,000. This was confiscated
by Cromwell and used by his troops during the rebellion,
but at the Restoration Sir Nicholas was reinstated
and rewarded by a baronetcy. His body was not
buried at Hammersmith, but in the church of St. Mildred
in Bread Street with his ancestors. There is
a portrait of him given in Lysons’ “Environs
of London.” He is “said to have been
the inventor of the art of making bricks as now practised”
(Lysons). He left L100 for the poor of Hammersmith,
to be distributed as his trustees and executors should
think fit. This amount, being expended in land
and buildings, has enormously increased in value,
and at the present day brings in a yearly income of
L52 15d., which is spent on blankets for the poor
inhabitants of the parish. The only other monuments
worthy of notice in the church are those of Edmund,
Lord Sheffield, Earl of Mulgrave and Baron of Butterwick,
who died 1646; one of the Impey monuments, which hangs
over the north door, which contains no less than nine
names, and another on the wall close by, to the memory
of Sir Elijah Impey and his wife, who are both buried
in the family vault beneath the church. These
are plain white marble slabs surmounted by coats of
arms.
There is a monument to W. Tierney
Clarke, C.E., F.R.S., who designed the suspension-bridge
at Hammersmith and executed many other great engineering
designs; also a monument to Sophia Charlotte, widow
of Lord Robert Fitzgerald, son of James, Duke of Leinster.
These are all on the north wall, and
are very much alike.
On the south aisle hangs a plain,
unpretentious little slab of marble to the memory
of Thomas Worlidge, artist and engraver, who died 1766.
His London house was in Great Queen Street, and in
it he had been preceded by Kneller and Reynolds, but
in his last years he spent much time at his “country
house” at Hammersmith. Not far off is the
name of Arthur Murphy, barrister and dramatic writer,
died 1805. Above the south door is a monument
of Sir Edward Nevill, Justice of the Common Pleas,
died 1705. In the baptistery at the west end
stands a beautiful font cut from a block of white
veined marble. In the churchyard rows of the old
tombstones, which were displaced when the new church
was built, stand against the walls of the adjacent
school. Adjoining the churchyard on the south
there once stood Lucy House, for many generations the
home of the Lucys, descendants of the justice who
prosecuted Shakespeare for deer-stealing.
In the churchyard stand the schools,
formerly the Latymer and Charity Schools, now merely
St. Paul’s National Schools. The school
was originally built in 1756 at the joint expense
of the feofees of Mr. Latymer and trustees of the
Female Charity School, and was restored and added
to in 1814. The Charity School was founded in
1712 by Thomas Gouge, who left L50 for the purpose,
which has since been increased by other benefactions.
On the south side of the church are
two picturesque old cottages, which would seem to
be contemporary with the old church itself. Near
the north end of the Fulham Palace Road, which here
branches off from Queen Street, is the Roman Catholic
Convent of the Good Shepherd. The walls enclose
nine acres of ground, part of which forms a good-sized
garden at the back. The nucleus of the nunnery
was a private house called Beauchamp House. The
convent is a refuge for penitents, of whom some 230
are received. These girls contribute to their
own support by laundry and needle work.
Chancellor Road is so called through
having been made through the grounds of an old house
of that name. In St. James Street there is a
small mission church, called St. Mark’s, attended
by the clergy of St. Paul’s. In Queen Street,
which runs from the church down to the river, there
are one or two red-tiled houses, but toward the river
end it is squalid and miserable. Bowack says
that in his time (1705) two rows of buildings ran
from the chapel riverwards, and another along the river
westward to Chiswick. One of the first two is
undoubtedly Queen Street. The last is the Lower
Mall, in which there are several old houses, including
the Vicarage, but there is no special history attached
to any of them. In 1684 a celebrated engineer,
Sir Samuel Morland, came to live in the Lower Mall.
Evelyn records a visit to him as follows:
“25th October, 1695.
“The Abp and myselfe went to Hammersmith,
to visite Sir Sam Morland, who was entirely
blind, a very mortifying sight. He showed us his
invention of writing, which was very ingenious;
also his wooden Kalendar, which instructed him
all by feeling, and other pretty and useful inventions
of mills, pumps, etc.”
Sir Samuel was the inventor of the
speaking-trumpet, and also greatly improved the capstan
and other instruments. He owed his baronetcy to
King Charles II., and was one of the gentlemen of the
Privy Chamber and Master of Mechanics. He died
in 1696, and was buried at Hammersmith. There
are here also large lead-mills. Behind the Lower
Mall is a narrow passage, called Ashen Place; here
is a row of neat brick cottages, erected in 1868.
These were founded in 1865, and are known as William
Smith’s Almshouses. Besides the building,
an endowment of L8,000 in Consols was left by the
founder. There are ten inmates, who may be of
either sex, and who receive 7s. a week each.
Waterloo Street was formerly Plough
and Harrow Lane. Faulkner mentions a Wesleyan
Methodist Chapel here, built in 1809, which probably
gave its name to Chapel Street hard by.
Near the west end of the Lower Mall
is the Friends’ Meeting House, a small brick
building which, though new, inherits an old tradition;
for there is said to have been a meeting-house here
from the beginning of the seventeenth century, and
one of the meetings was disturbed and broken up by
Cromwell’s soldiers. At the back is a small
burial-ground, in which the earliest stone bears date
1795.
The Lower is divided from the Upper
Mall by a muddy creek. This creek can now be
traced inland only so far as King Street, but old maps
show it to have risen at West Acton. An old wooden
bridge, erected by Bishop Sherlock in 1751, crosses
it; this is made entirely of oak, and was repaired
in 1837 by Bishop Blomfield. Near the creek the
houses are poor and mean, inhabited by river-men,
etc., and the place is called Little Wapping.
There is a little passage between creek and river,
and in it is a low door marked “The Seasons.”
It was here that Thompson wrote his great poem, in
a room overlooking the water, in the upper part of
the Doves public-house, which was then a coffee-tavern.
The poem was so little appreciated by the booksellers,
who then combined the functions of publishers with
their own trade, that it was with difficulty he persuaded
one of them to give him three guineas for it.
Opposite is Sussex Lodge, once the
residence of the Duke of Sussex, who came to the riverside
for change of air. It was afterwards inhabited
by Captain Marryat, the novelist. Sir Godfrey
Kneller lived for a time in the Upper Mall; and Bowack
tells us that “Queen Katherine, when Queen-Dowager,
kept her palace in the summer time” by the river.
This was Catherine of Braganza, consort of Charles
II. She came here after his death, and remained
until 1692. She took great interest in gardening,
and the elms by the riverside are supposed to have
been of her planting. Her banqueting-hall survived
until within the last thirty years. It was a
building with handsome recesses on the front filled
by figures cast in lead. In the reign of Queen
Anne the celebrated physician Dr. Radcliffe lived
in the same house. He had the project of founding
a hospital, and began to build, but never carried his
intention into effect. He bequeathed the greater
part of his property and his library to the University
of Oxford, and was the founder of the famous Radcliffe
Library there. Bishop Lloyd of Norwich was a near
neighbour at Hammersmith. He died in the Upper
Mall in 1710, and left many valuable books to St.
John’s College, Cambridge.
In Kelmscott House, N, lived
William Morris, R.A., whose influence on the artistic
development of printing and in many other directions
is well known. On a small outer building of the
house is a tablet stating that in this house Sir Francis
Ronald, F.R.S., made the first electric telegraph,
eight miles long, in 1816. Turner, R.A., lived
in the Upper Mall, 1808-14, after which he moved to
Sandycombe Lodge, Twickenham. After Riverscourt
Road there is a hoarding, behind which was Queen Catherine
of Braganza’s mansion already referred to.
Mickephor Alphery, a member of the Russian Imperial
Family, took Holy Orders in England in 1618, and lived
at Hammersmith. Weltje Street was named after
a favourite cook of George IV.’s, who had a
house on its site. He is buried in the churchyard.
Linden House is old, but has no history. Beavor
Lodge, which gives its name to Beavor Lane, was formerly
owned by Sir Thomas Beavor. In it now lives Sir
W. B. Richmond, K.C.B., R.A. Old Ship Lane takes
its name from a picturesque old tavern, the Old Ship,
the doorway of which is still standing. Hammersmith
Terrace runs from Black Lion Lane to Chiswick Hall.
In it are many old houses remaining. In N
lived P. J. de Loutherbourgh, an artist and member
of the Royal Academy. He died here in 1812.
Arthur Murphy, whose monument in the church has been
mentioned, lived at N. He wrote lives of
Fielding, Johnson, and Garrick, besides numerous essays
and plays, and was well known to his own contemporaries.
Mrs. Mountain, the celebrated singer, also had a house
in the terrace.
The fisheries of Hammersmith were
formerly much celebrated. They were leased in
the seventeenth century to Sir Nicholas Crispe,
Sir Abraham Dawes, and others for the value of three
salmon annually. Flounders, smelt, salmon, barbel,
eels, roach, dace, lamprey, were caught in the river,
but even in 1839 fish were growing very scarce.
Faulkner, writing at that period, says it was ten
years since a salmon had been caught.
In Black Lion Lane is St. Peter’s
Church, built in 1829. It is of brick, and has
a high lantern tower and massive portico, supported
by pillars. Close by are the girls’ and
infant schools, built 1849-52. From this point
to the western boundary of the parish there is nothing
further of interest.
In King Street West, after N,
there is a Methodist Chapel, with an ornamental porch.
A few doors westward are the new or Upper Latymer
Schools, with the arms of the founder over the doorway.
The buildings are in red brick, with stone facings.
Returning to the north side of the
Hammersmith Road, which has for some time been overlooked,
we find the King’s Theatre, stone-fronted and
new, bearing date 1902. Near it is the West London
Hospital, instituted May, 1856, and opened in July
of the same year. Since that time it has been
greatly enlarged, and an immense new wing overlooking
Wolverton Gardens has been added. The hospital
was incorporated by royal charter, November 1, 1894.
It is entirely supported by voluntary contributions.
Near the Broadway is the Convent of
the Sacred Heart, standing on ground which has long
been consecrated to religious uses, for a nunnery is
said to have existed here before the Reformation.
In 1669 a Roman Catholic school for girls was founded
here, and in 1797 the Benedictine nuns, driven out
of France, took refuge in it. The present buildings
were erected in 1876 for a seminary, and it was not
until 1893 that the nuns of the Sacred Heart re-established
a convent within the walls. The present community
employ themselves in teaching, and superintend schools
of three grades.
There stood in the Broadway until
within recent years a charming old building called
The Cottage one of those picturesque but
obstructive details in which our ancestors delighted.
Behind the Congregational Chapel there is an old hall,
used as a lecture-hall, which was originally a chapel,
and which is said by Faulkner to be the oldest place
of worship in Hammersmith. It was built by the
Presbyterians. The first authentic mention of
its minister is in 1700, when the Rev. Samuel Evans
“collected on the brief for Torrington at a meeting
of Protestant Dissenters held at the White Hart, Hammersmith,
13d.”
In the Brook Green Road Nos.
41 to 45 contain an orphanage called St. Mary’s
Catholic Orphanage for Girls. On Brook Green itself
one or two old cottages with tiled roofs are still
to be seen reminiscences of old Hammersmith.
The long strip of grass, in shape like a curving tongue,
justifies the name of “Green.” Dr.
Iles’ almshouses, known as the Brook Green Almshouses,
have long been established here, though the present
buildings date only from 1839. They stand at the
corner of Rowan Road, and are rather ornately built
in brick with diamond-paned windows. The charity
was founded in 1635 by Dr. Iles, who left “houses,
almshouses, and land on Brook Green, and moiety of
a house in London.” The old almshouses
were pulled down in 1839. At the north end of
Brook Green, next door to the Jolly Gardeners public-house,
stood Eagle House, a very fine old mansion, only demolished
within the last twenty years. Bute House stands
on the site. Eagle House was built in the style
of Queen Anne’s reign, and had a fine gateway
with two stone piers surmounted by eagles. The
back of the house was of wood, and the front of brick,
and there was a massy old oak staircase. Like
many other old houses, it became for a time a school.
Sion House is a square stuccoed building,
plain and without decoration either interior or exterior.
This was used as a nunnery until about three years
ago, and the wall decorations in the room used by the
nuns as a chapel are still quite fresh. This
room is ugly and meagre, and without attractiveness.
It has a fine garden at the back, stretching out parallel
to that of its neighbour, and the two together embrace
an area of close upon four acres, which will make
a fine playground for the projected school. These
gardens are at present neglected tangles of evergreen
creepers and trees, but with a little care might be
admirably laid out. On Brook Green is now established
St. Paul’s School for girls, a companion to
the large school for boys already described. This
is likely to be a very popular institution.
Near the corner of Caithness Road
is the Hammersmith and West Kensington Synagogue,
opened on September 7, 1890, which forms one of the
thirteen synagogues in London that constitute together
the United Synagogue, of which Lord Rothschild is
the President. The building was designed by Mr.
Delissa Joseph, F.R.I.B.A. The leading features
of the design are a gabled façade with sham minarets,
and a recessed porch with overhanging balcony.
The façade is flanked by square towers containing the
staircases.
At the south end of the Green there
is quite a Roman Catholic colony. The Almshouses
stand on the west side, facing the road, behind a
quadrangle of green grass. They were founded in
1824, and contain accommodation for thirty inmates
of either sex. Five of the houses are endowed,
and the pensioners pass on in rotation from the unendowed
to the endowed rooms. They must be Roman Catholics
and exceed the age of sixty years before they are
received. On the north side of the quadrangle
is the Roman Catholic parish church, a fine building
in the Gothic style, with a high spire and moulded
entrance doorway, built in 1851.
Immediately opposite, across the road,
is St. Mary’s Training College for elementary
school masters. These young men must have passed
the King’s Scholarship examination and be over
the age of eighteen before they enter on the two years’
course of study. The large building near on the
north side is the practising-school, where the students
learn the art of teaching practically. There
is a pretty little chapel in the college, and the
walls enclose three acres of land, including site.
St. Joseph’s School for pauper
children is adjacent to the practising-school, on
the north side. This building is certified for
180 children, who are received from the workhouse,
etc. They enter at the age of three years,
and leave at sixteen for situations. It was founded
and is managed by the Daughters of the Cross, and was
established in its present quarters September 19,
1892. Faulkner says of Brook Green, “Here
is a Roman Catholic Chapel and School called the Arke,”
so that this part of Hammersmith has long been connected
with the Catholics.
In the Blythe Road, N, is a fine
old house with an imposing portico, which now overlooks
a dingy yard. This is Blythe House, “reported
to have been haunted, and many strange stories were
reported of ghosts and apparitions having been seen
here; but it turned out at last that a gang of smugglers
had taken up their residence in it.” It
was once used as a school, and later on as a reformatory.
It is now in the possession of the Swan Laundry Company.
In Blythe Road there is a small mission
church called Christ Church. In Shepherd’s
Bush Road, at the corner of Netherwood Road, is West
Kensington Park Chapel of the Wesleyan Methodists.
Shepherd’s Bush and many of the adjoining roads
are thickly lined with bushy young plane-trees.
St. Simon’s Church, in Minford Gardens, is an
ugly red-brick building with ornamental facings of
red brick, and a high steeple of the same materials.
It was built in 1879. St. Matthew’s, in
Sinclair Road, is very similar, but has a bell-gable
instead of a steeple. The foundation-stone was
laid 1870. In Ceylon Road there is a Board school.
Facing Addison Road Station is the well-known place
of entertainment called Olympia, with walls of red
brick and stone and a semicircular glass roof.
It contains the largest covered arena in London.
Returning once more to the Broadway,
we traverse King Street, which is the High Street
of Hammersmith. It is very narrow, and, further,
blocked by costers’ barrows, so that on Saturday
nights it is hard work to get through it at all.
The pressure is increased by the electric trams, which
run on a single set of rails to the Broadway.
In King Street is the Hammersmith Theatre of Varieties,
the West End Lecture-Hall, and the West End Chapel,
held by the Baptists. It stands on the site of
an older chapel, which was first used for services
of the Church of England, and was acquired by the
Baptists in 1793. The old tombstones standing
round the present building are memorials of the former
burial-ground. At the west end of King Street
is an entrance to Ravenscourt Park, acquired by the
L.C.C. in 1888-90. The grounds cover between thirty
and forty acres, and are well laid out in flower-beds,
etc., at the southern end. The Ravenscourt
Park Railway-station is on the east side, and the arched
railway-bridge crosses the southern end of the park.
A beautiful avenue of fine old elms leads to the Public
Library, which is at the north end in what was once
the old manor-house.
All this part of Hammersmith was formerly
included in the Manor of Pallenswick or Paddingswick.
Faulkner says this manor is situated “at Pallengswick
or Turnham Green, and extends to the western road.”
The first record of it is at the end of Edward III.’s
reign, when it was granted to Alice Perrers or Pierce,
who was one of the King’s favourites. She
afterwards married Lord Windsor, a Baron, and Lieutenant
of Ireland. Report has also declared that King
Edward used the manor-house as a hunting-seat, and
his arms, richly carved in wood, stood in a large
upper room until a few years before 1813. But
the house itself cannot have been very ancient then,
for Lysons says it had only recently been rebuilt
at the date he wrote namely, 1795.
The influence of Alice Perrers over the King was resented
by his courtiers, who procured her banishment when
he died in 1378. After her marriage, however,
King Richard II. granted the manor to her husband.
There is a gap in the records of the
manor subsequently until John Payne died, leaving
it to his son William in 1572. This was the “William
Payne of Pallenswick, Esq.,” who placed a monument
in Fulham Church to the memory of himself and his
wife before his own death, and who left an island
called Makenshawe “to the use of the poor of
this parish on the Hammersmith side.” This
bequest is otherwise described as being part of an
island or twig-ait called Mattingshawe, situated in
the parish of Richmond in the county of Surrey.
At the time the bequest was left the rent-charge on
the island amounted to L3 yearly, which was to be
distributed among twelve poor men and women the first
year, and to be used for apprenticing a poor boy the
second year, alternately. Sir Richard Gurney,
Lord Mayor of London, bought the manor in 1631.
It was several times sold and resold, and in Faulkner’s
time belonged to one George Scott. It had only
then recently begun to be known as Ravenscourt.
The house was granted to the commissioners of the public
library by the London County Council at a nominal rent,
and the library was opened by Sir John Lubbock, March
19, 1890. In a case at the head of the stairs
are a series of the Kelmscott Press books, presented
by Sir William Morris. Round the walls of the
rooms hang many interesting old prints, illustrative
of ancient houses in Hammersmith and Fulham. There
is also a valuable collection of cuttings, prints,
and bills relating to the local history of the parish.
In the entrance hall are hung prints of Rocque’s
and other maps of Hammersmith, and the original document
signed by the enrolled band of volunteers in 1803.
Among the treasures of the library may be mentioned
the minute-book of the volunteers, a copy of Bowack’s
“Middlesex,” and an original edition of
Rocque’s maps of London and environs.
Just outside the park, on the east
side, is the Church of Holy Innocents, opposite St.
Peter’s Schools. It is a high brick building,
opened September 25, 1890. There is a Primitive
Methodist chapel with school attached in Dalling Road
near by. In Glenthorne Road is the Church of
St. John the Evangelist, founded in 1858, and designed
by Mr. Butterfield. A magnificent organ was built
in it by one of the parishioners in memory of her
late husband.
Behind the church are the Godolphin
Schools, founded in the sixteenth century by the will
of W. Godolphin, and rebuilt in 1861. In Southerton
Road there is a small Welsh chapel. The Goldhawk
Road is an old Roman road, a fact which was conclusively
proved by the discovery of the old Roman causeway
accidentally dug up by workmen in 1834.
Shepherd’s Bush Green is a triangular
piece of grass an acre or two in extent. There
seems to be no recognised derivation of the curious
name. At Shepherd’s Bush, in 1657, one
Miles Syndercomb hired a house for the purpose of
assassinating Oliver Cromwell as he passed along the
highroad to the town. The plot failed, and Syndercomb
was hanged, drawn, and quartered in consequence.
The precise spot on which the attempt took place is
impossible to identify. It was somewhere near
“the corner of Golders Lane,” says Faulkner,
but the lane has long since been obliterated.
St. Stephen’s Church, in the
Uxbridge Road, was the earliest church in this part
of Hammersmith. It was built and endowed by Bishop
Blomfield in 1850. Its tower and spire, rising
to the height of 150 feet, can be seen for some distance.
St. Thomas’s, in the Godolphin
Road, is rather a pretty church of brick with red-tiled
roof, and some ornamental stonework on the south face.
It was built in 1882, designed by Sir A. Blomfield,
and the foundation-stone was laid by the Baroness
Burdett-Coutts. The chancel was added in 1887.
In Leysfield Road stands St. Andrew’s
Presbyterian Church, of which the foundation-stone
was laid by the present Duke of Argyll, March 30,
1870.
In the extreme west of the Goldhawk
Road is St. Mary’s Church, in bright red brick,
erected 1886. The Duchess of Teck laid the
foundation-stone. This has brought us to the
end of the houses. Behind St. Mary’s lie
waste land and market-gardens. Just outside the
parish boundary are two old houses of brick in the
style of the seventeenth century; they used to be
known as Stamford Brook Manor House, but they have
no authentic history. Starch Green Road branches
off from the Goldhawk Road opposite Ravenscourt Park;
this road, running up into the Askew Road, was formerly
known by the still more extraordinary name of Gaggle
Goose Green.
In Cobbold Road, to the north of the
waste land is St. Saviour’s. An iron church
was first erected here in 1884, and the present red-brick
building was consecrated March 4, 1889. The chancel
was only added in 1894.
In Becklow Road are a neat row of
almshouses with gabled roofs. These are the Waste
Land Almshouses. In the words of the charity report,
ordered to be printed by the Vestry of Hammersmith
in 1890, “This foundation owes its origin to
a resolution which was entered into by the copyholders
of the Manor on Fulham on the 23rd April, 1810, that
no grants of waste land belonging to the manor should
in future be applied to the purpose of raising a fund
and endowing almshouses.”
Part of the money received from the
Waste Lands Fund thus created has been appropriated
to the Fulham side, and part to the Hammersmith side.
The Hammersmith almshouses were at first built at Starch
Green. In 1868 these houses were pulled down
and new ones erected. The present almshouses
were erected in 1886 for twelve inmates.
In the Uxbridge Road, opposite Becklow
Road, is St. Luke’s Church, a red-brick building
with no spire or tower, erected in 1872. The iron
church which it succeeded, stands still behind it,
and is used for a choir-room and vestry.
A short way westward, in the Uxbridge
Road, is Oaklands Congregational Church, a somewhat
heavy building covered with stucco, with a large portico
supported by Corinthian columns.
Behind the houses bordering the north
of the Uxbridge Road is a wide expanse of waste land
with one or two farms. This part of the Manor
of Fulham was leased in 1549 by Bishop Bonner to Edward,
Duke of Somerset, under the name of the Manor of Wormholt
Barns. Through the attainder of the Duke the
Crown eventually obtained possession of it. It
passed through various hands, and was split up at
last into two parts, Wormholt and Eynham lands; these
two names are still preserved in Wormholt and Eynham
Farms. In 1812 the Government took a lease of
the northern part of the land for twenty-one years
at an annual rent of L100, which was subsequently
renewed. On part of this land was built the prison
of Wormwood Scrubs in 1874. Part is used as a
rifle-range, and to the north is a large public and
military ground for exercising troops, etc.
To the east of the prison are the Chandos and the North
Kensington cricket and football ground.
The Prison walls enclose an area of
sixteen acres. The building was all done by convict
labour. To the south, without the walls, lie the
houses of the officials, warders, etc. On
the great towers by the gateway are medallions of
John Howard and Elizabeth Fry. Within the courtyard
are workshops, etc., and immediately opposite
the gateway is a fine chapel with circular windows
built of Portland stone. Four great “halls”
stretch out northward, at right angles to the gates.
These measure 387 feet in length, are four stories
in height, and each provides accommodation for 360
prisoners. The three western ones are for men,
that on the east for women. On the male side one
“hall” is reserved for convicts doing
their months of solitary confinement before passing
on elsewhere. The men are employed as masons,
carpenters, etc., the women in laundry and needle-work.
The exercise-grounds are large and airy; the situation
is very healthy.
The next district, traversed by the
Latymer Road, is a squalid, miserable quarter of the
borough, with poor houses on either side. In
Clifton Street is St. Gabriel’s, the mission
church of St. James’s, a little brick building
erected in 1883 by the parishioners and others.
Further northward, beyond the railway-bridge,
is Holy Trinity Church. The foundation-stone
was laid on Ascension Day, 1887, by the Duchess of
Albany. It is a red-brick building with a fine
east window decorated with stone tracery. Beyond
this there is nothing further of interest except St.
Mary’s Roman Catholic cemetery at Kensal Green.
It comprises thirty acres, and was opened in May,
1858. There are many notable names among those
buried here, namely: Cardinals Wiseman and Manning;
Clarkson Stanfield, R.A.; Dr. Rock, who was Curator
of Ecclesiastical Antiquities in the South Kensington
Museum; Adelaide A. Proctor, Panizzi, Prince Lucien
Bonaparte, and others. To the west of the cemetery
lies a network of interlacing railways, to the north
a few streets, in one of which there is an iron church.
We have now made practical acquaintance
with this vast borough, stretching from the river
to Kensal Green, and including within its limits an
exceptional number of churches and chapels of all
denominations. There are numerous convents, almshouses,
and schools. Hammersmith has always been noted
for its charities, and no bequest to its poor has
ever been made without being doubled and trebled by
subsequent gratuities. On a general survey, the
three most interesting places within the boundaries
seem to be: St. Paul’s School, flourishing
in Hammersmith, but not indigenous; Ravenscourt Park,
with its aroma of old history, and the sternly practical
institution of Wormwood Scrubs Prison. Hammersmith
can boast not a few great names among its residents,
by no means least that of the loyal Sir Nicholas Crispe;
but with Kneller, Radcliffe, Worlidge, Morland, Thompson,
Turner, and Morris, it has a goodly list.