The earliest authority for the derivation
of the name of Fulham is Camden, in his “Britannia,”
who is quoted by all succeeding writers. Norden
says: “Fulham, of the Saxons called Fullon-ham,
which (as Master Camden taketh it) signifieth Volucrum
Domus, the Habitacle of Birds or the Place
of Fowls. Fullon and Furglas in the Saxon toong
signifieth Fowles, and Ham or Hame as much as Home
in our Toong. So that Fullonham or Fuglahame
is as much as to say the Home House or Habitacle
of Fowle. Ham also in many places signifieth
Amnis a River. But it is most probable it
should be of Land Fowle which usually haunt Groves
and Clusters of Trees whereof in this Place it seemeth
to have been plenty.”
Bowack also quotes Camden, adding:
“In all Probability a Place where all sorts
of Water Fowls were bred and preserved for the Diversion
of our Saxon Monarchs.”
Lysons, commenting on this derivation,
adds in a note: “The Saxon word ful
is translated foul: fuhl, a fowl:
full and fullan are full, as full
moña, the full moon.” This latter meaning
has been chosen by the authors of the Anglo-Saxon
dictionaries, notably Somner, Lye, and Bosworth.
Fulham is bounded by Chelsea and Kensington
on the east, by the river on the west and south, and
by Hammersmith on the north. The eastern boundary
follows generally the railway-line between Addison
Road Station and the river, and the northern one is
identical with the southern one of Hammersmith already
given. The earliest record we have of Fulham is
in 691, when a grant of the manor was made by Tyrtilus,
Bishop of Hereford, to Erkenwald, Bishop of London,
and his successors. In 879 a body of Danes made
Fulham their winter quarters, and amused themselves
by constructing the moat around the palace. Norden
tells us that Henry III. often “lay” at
the palace, and on two occasions Bishop Bancroft received
visits here from Queen Elizabeth. James I. also
came here before his coronation. In 1627 Charles
I. dined with Bishop Montaigne. In 1642 the Parliamentary
army encamped at Fulham, 24,000 strong, under Essex.
If we enter the borough of Fulham
at the Hammersmith end, we come upon one of the most
interesting associations of the whole district, just
before the North End Road makes a decided bend.
Here are two houses, formerly one, called the Grange,
in which the novelist Samuel Richardson passed the
greater part of his life. This pompous, vain little
man, who never to the end of his life abated one whit
of his savage envy of his successful contemporaries,
was endowed with the genius of originality which prompted
him to write as no one had ever thought of writing
before. He remained here until 1755, when he moved
to Parsons Green. He had begun life as one of
the nine children of a man of small means, and was
apprenticed to a printer. This work he carried
on long after the necessity for it had ceased, for
he was above all things punctual, methodical, neat,
and entirely the opposite in character to that usually
ascribed to genius. To a man of his type it seems
almost sinful to give up routine work in order to
depend on the work of imagination. He had a house
at Salisbury Court near his business premises, and
the Grange at North End was his country residence.
Here he composed “Sir Charles Grandison”
and “Clarissa,” writing for the most part
in a grotto in the garden, where the admiring circle
of women who adored him, and whose effusive flattery
he ever received with pleasure, paid court to him.
He was twice married, and while at North End was living
with his second wife and their four daughters.
Thus he was surrounded by womenkind, who forgave him
all faults on account of his appreciation of sentimentality.
The house is distinctly picturesque.
The southern half is of red brick, and is surrounded
by a high wall, in which is a gateway with tall red-brick
piers surmounted by stone balls. Over the wall
hangs an acacia-tree, and on the front of the house
is an old sundial altogether a house one
could well associate with an imaginative novelist.
It was the residence of the late Sir Edward Burne-Jones,
Bart. The other part of the house has been painted
a light stone colour. Even as early as 1813 the
Grange had been divided into two houses.
St. Mary’s Church, facing the
Hammersmith Road, is in Fulham. It was built
by a Mr. Richard Hunt, to whose memory there is a tablet
on the wall, and was opened as a chapel of ease in
1814. Some fine carving on the north side of
the chancel and the oak panelling of the gallery were
brought from Lady Mary Coke’s old mansion at
Chiswick.
In 1860 the site of Edith Road was,
according to Crofton Croker, to be let on building
lease. In it, Croker says, “once stood the
house of Cipriani.” But there is some doubt
as to the exact site of Cipriani’s house, which
is also claimed for Great Church Lane, Hammersmith
(see . Cipriani lived in England from 1755
to 1785, and his works were largely engraved by Bartolozzi,
who also had a house at North End.
Further south, to the east of Queen’s
Club grounds, are a maze of new streets, in one of
which, Castletown Road, is a large and fine Congregational
chapel and hall. The chapel has a square tower
rising to a considerable height, and the roof is supported
by flying buttresses. This is an offshoot of
the Allen Street Congregational Chapel, whose trustees
still have the control and help to support it financially.
The foundation-stone was the last laid by the late
Earl of Shaftesbury, November 22, 1882.
The well-known Earl’s Court
Exhibition has an entrance in the North End Road.
It occupies the area between this on the one side,
and Eardley Crescent and Philbeach Gardens on the
other, and is the largest exhibition open in London.
It belongs partly to Kensington and partly to Fulham,
for the boundary line is close to the railway.
St. Andrew’s Church, at the
corner of Greyhound and Vereker Roads, was built in
1873. It has a spire, and differs little from
the accepted model.
The entrance to Queen’s Club
grounds is in the Comeragh Road. On the right
of the gate is a grand-stand, from which a fine view
of the eleven or twelve acres of ground can be obtained.
Along the west side run the principal buildings, including
secretary’s offices, grand-stands, tennis and
fives courts, etc. The covered lawn-tennis
courts are laid with great care and expense, the floors
being of American maple, screwed and fitted over a
patent wooden floor to insure absolute accuracy.
The ladies’ lawn-tennis championship is played
off here. The great public event of the year
is the Oxford and Cambridge sports, which in interest
rank after the boat-race and cricket-match.
Close to Queen’s Club is the
Hammersmith cemetery, an extensive piece of ground
of some twenty acres. There is a broad gravel
walk down the centre, and two small chapels, round
which the graves are thickly clustered, spreading
gradually westward as space is required. The first
burial took place in 1869. The principal entrance
is in the Margravine Road. The significance of
this unexpected name in such a position is explained
by the fact that the Margravine of Brandenburg-Anspach
had a house near the river in this part for many years.
It is described in detail below.
Just across the road is the Fulham
and Hammersmith Union Workhouse and Infirmary, facing
Fulham Palace Road. Between the workhouse and
the river is a stretch of land used by market-gardeners.
It was by the riverside that Brandenburg House, built
by Sir Nicholas Crispe in the beginning of Charles
I.’s reign, was situated. General Fairfax
quartered himself here in 1647 during the Civil War,
and his troops afterwards plundered the house; but
at the close of the war Sir Nicholas returned and
restored his property to its former state. After
his death in 1666 it descended to his nephew, who
sold it seventeen years later to Prince Rupert, who
gave it to Margaret Hughes. It passed through
the possession of various owners. One of these,
George Dodington, afterwards Lord Melcombe, repaired
and modernized it, altering the name to La Trappe.
In 1792 it became the property of the Margrave of
Brandenburg-Anspach and Bayreuth, and at his death
the Margravine, formerly Lady Craven, continued to
live there. Faulkner gives a minute account of
the house and a long inventory of all the pictures
in it while it was the residence of this lady.
She built a theatre near the waterside, and herself
took part in the performances. Bills of the plays
in which her name appears are still extant. One
of them is preserved in the Hammersmith Free Library.
Though Brandenburg House was situated in Fulham, it
is often described and spoken of as in Hammersmith.
This is perhaps owing to its connection with Sir Nicholas
Crispe, who was a great benefactor to the latter
parish, and perhaps because the house existed when
Hammersmith and Fulham were still one parish.
Lysons says that during the interregnum it was proposed
to make the hamlet of Hammersmith parochial, and add
to it Sir Nicholas Crispe’s house and a part
of North End, but, as stated, the separation of the
parishes did not take place until 1834.
On May 3, 1820, Queen Caroline, wife
of George IV., came to live at Brandenburg House,
and on the fifteenth of that month was presented with
a congratulatory address by the inhabitants of Hammersmith.
On the abandonment of the Bill of “Pains and
Penalties” by the House of Lords she received
a second address. She had been petitioned by people
of all classes and conditions during the progress
of the Bill, the demonstration of the watermen and
lightermen of the Thames on October 8 having been
especially noticeable. The Queen had stood on
the balcony of her residence and bowed her acknowledgments
to the enthusiastic crowd. The Queen died in
1821, and the King caused the house to be destroyed
shortly afterwards, it is said, in jealousy of her
popularity.
In a villa near Brandenburg House
lived Mrs. Billington, the famous singer, who died
at Venice in 1818. At her death Sir John Sibbald,
a Civil Servant of the East India Company, and at
one time Ambassador to the Court of Hyder Ali Khan,
bought the house. It was tenanted later by the
novelist Captain Marryat, R.N. Southward there
is a large extent of ground devoted to market-gardens,
for which Fulham has long been famous. This is
broken only by a few houses about Crabtree Alley and
Crabtree Lane. Close to the latter is St. Clement’s
Church, of yellow brick, consecrated in 1886.
The reredos painting is in the early Florentine style,
and represents the Resurrection. There are several
stained-glass windows and a handsome wrought-iron
chancel-screen. The font and its cover were originally
at St. Matthew’s, Friday Street. Opposite
to the church is a public recreation-ground, and south
of it the Fulham cemetery, not so large, but more
thickly planted with shrubs than that of Hammersmith,
already noted.
St. James’s Diocesan Home for
Penitents is on the river side of the Fulham Palace
Road. It was originally established in 1856, though
it was not then in Hammersmith. Funds failed,
and the institution would have come to an untimely
end but for the intervention of the then Bishop of
London, who made the Home diocesan; the present building
was erected in 1871. The total number of inmates
at present is 76. These are employed at laundry
and needle work, etc. The penitents are divided
into three classes, and are employed according to
their position. Very nearly opposite to the Home
are the Fulham Waste Land and Lygon Almshouses.
The buildings form two sides of a square, the sides
being respectively for married and single pensioners.
The latter may be of either sex. The married
couples have two rooms and a small scullery, and receive
8s. a week. The single persons have one room,
with 5s. per week. The houses are neatly built
of brick with slate roofs and high chimneys. In
the centre there is a room used as a chapel.
There are altogether fourteen inmates. On a stone
let into the wall nearest the road is the inscription:
“The Fulham Waste Land and Lygon Almshouses,
founded 1833 and rebuilt 1886. This stone was
laid by Frederick, Lord Bishop of London, April 21,
1886.”
The origin of the double name was
in this wise: The vestry of the parish of Fulham
and Hammersmith in 1810 had a fund of money derived
from the enclosure of certain waste lands belonging
to the parish. By 1833 this fund had so much
increased that it was resolved to build almshousess,
which were accordingly erected on a piece of land in
the Dawes Road. In the beginning of the eighties
Lady Lygon bought a piece of land in the Fulham Palace
Road for the purpose of founding almshouses on it.
This project was never carried out, and the ground
was eventually given to the Waste Land Trustees, who
built the present almshouses on it in 1886.
The part of Fulham to the east of
the Fulham Palace Road is very dreary; long, dull
streets, lined by small houses and varied by small
chapels and big Board schools, constitute an area at
the best highly respectable, and at the worst squalid.
It is useless to enumerate all the churches and chapels
that have sprung up here, particularly as there are
none of any architectural or historical interest.
They have been built from time to time to meet the
rapid increase of population in a growing district
that will doubtless soon spread over the market-gardens
that now reach the river. The principal churches
are St. Augustine’s, in Lillie Road, of red
brick with freestone dressings; and St. Peter’s,
in Reporton Road, which contains a pulpit that might
make more ancient churches proud, for it is of carved
oak, and is supposed to be the work of Grinling Gibbons.
It came from St. Matthew’s, Friday Street.
The Church of St. Thomas of Canterbury in Rylston
Road is Roman Catholic, and was designed by Pugin,
who also designed the altars and reredos of the minor
chapels in it.
Lillie Road is so named after Sir
John Lillie, who was a director of the East India
Company and lived at Fulham. To Normand House
in Normand Road there is some interest attached.
The name is supposed to be a corruption of “No-man.”
Bowack alludes to it thus: “There is also
a handsome ancient seat in Fulham Field called No-Man’s-Land
House, now belonging to Wild,
Esq. The piece of ground which it stands on was
known as No-Man’s-Land.” The date
1664 is worked into the iron scroll-work of a gateway.
The house has been considerably added to from time
to time, but the wide, low passage with its pretty
archways and panelling, which is seen on entrance,
is distinctly one of the oldest parts. Two staircases,
one of which is carved with the Tudor roses, are very
picturesque. Many of the rooms are panelled.
Crofton Croker gives the date incorrectly as 1661.
He adds: “It is said to have been used as
a hospital for persons recovering from the Great Plague
in 1665.” Sir E. Bulwer Lytton resided
here at one time. Later on it was used as a lunatic
asylum, and was so when Thorne wrote his “Environs”
in 1876. It is now the Community of the Sisters
of St. Katherine for the work of assisting and rescuing
young women convicted of a first offence or discharged
for dishonesty without conviction, but otherwise of
good moral character. The girls are employed
in house and laundry work, which is taken in from outside,
and the proceeds go to the funds. After two years’
training they are placed in service. This institution
has a branch at Hammersmith, and a small one at Walham.
It belongs to the Church of England. In Lillie
Road, to the east of North End Road, is the Mount
Carmel Hermitage. This convent is a red-brick
building with a small chapel attached, erected in 1880
by some French Sisters who had come to London in 1865,
and settled at Fulham in 1867 in a house near the
site of the present convent. There are eleven
nuns, of whom three are lay Sisters. They are
devoted to the contemplative life. Just opposite
is a large brewery, established 1867. At the
east end of Eustace Road is a small brick Wesleyan
chapel, hidden away in a corner, which deserves a
word of mention, as it is a German chapel and the
services are in that language.
The Fulham Congregational Church in
Dawes Road is a large building of red brick with stone
facings, opened on April 5, 1887. There is a
lecture-room beneath, besides library, class-rooms,
and infant Sunday-school.
We have now arrived at Walham Green,
once a small village standing in the fields.
It has been variously spelt. In a map of 1686
by Lea it is “Wollam,” and in 1706 “Wallam”;
in a 1720 map (Seale) it is “Wallom,”
and in Rocque of 1754 “Wallam” again.
Before 1686 it was Wandon and Wansdon, according to
Crofton Croker, and Lysons derives it from Wendon,
either because the traveller had to wend his way through
it to Fulham, or because the drainage from higher
grounds “wandered” through it to the river.
The Church of St. John is situated at Walham Green.
It has a high square tower with corner pinnacles,
and is partly covered with ivy. It is built of
stone, and the total cost was about L9,680. It
was consecrated on August 14, 1828, and restored in
1892-93. The schools in connection with it, built
in 1894, stand in the Dawes Road opposite. Passing
eastward on the Fulham Road, we come to the Walham
Green Station of the District Railway. Just opposite
is the Town Hall, a square building of brick with
stone frontage, ornamentally decorated with carving.
It was built in 1891. Further on, on the opposite
side, is the Wesleyan Chapel at Walham Green, opened
in April, 1892. The buildings are of brick, with
stone dressings. In the Moore Park Road, which
branches off the Fulham Road near the boundary, stands
St. James’s Church, an ugly brick building with
no spire or tower, which was consecrated on June 28,
1867, and the apse was built out at the east end about
a dozen years later. There is a row of stained-glass
windows low down across the west end. Going back
to Walham Green proper, we find a double row of almshouses,
shut off from the Vanston Place Road by iron gates.
These are the almshouses of the Butchers’ Charitable
Institution, which was founded on October 16, 1828.
The almshouses themselves were begun at Walham Green
in 1840. The object is described in the report
as “for affording relief to decayed or distressed
master butchers, master pork-butchers, cattle and
meat commission salesmen, their widows and orphans.”
In Fulham Road, westward, John Rocque
lived. His maps of London and environs are still
used by all topographers, and are full of accurate
detail. In the map published in 1741-45 his name
is printed across the road at this spot. On the
south side of the road formerly stood Ravensworth
House, pulled down in 1877. The site of it is
now occupied by the Swan Brewery. The grounds
of Ravensworth House stretched out as far as the present
railway, where there was a large pond. When Thorne
wrote his “Environs” in 1876, the house
was still standing, and he describes it as of “but
moderate proportions, but more capacious than it looks.”
The Queen and Prince Consort were entertained here
by Lord Ravensworth in 1840. Faulkner refers
to Ravensworth House as “Mr. Ord’s house
and garden,” and mentions the Glastonbury thorn
which flowered on Christmas Day, and the moss-rose
which, being “laid” year after year, at
length covered a space in diameter 47 feet. The
Swan Brewery, owned by Messrs. Stansfeld, was founded
on the same site in 1765. It passed through several
hands, and eventually, in 1880, Messrs. Stansfeld
acquired possession and proceeded to erect new premises.
Bolingbroke House was a little further on. Tradition
says it was the residence of Lord Bolingbroke, who
was visited here by Pope. It was eventually divided
into two houses Dungannon House and Albany
Lodge and these were demolished only in
1893. Dungannon House was also known as Acacia
Cottage, and in it lived the first publisher of Cowper’s
works a Mr. Joseph Johnson until
1809.
We are now at Purser’s Cross,
and after a digression southward shall presently return.
East End House, pulled down in 1885, stood at the
corner where Delvino Road now joins the Green.
It was the residence for some time of Mrs. Fitzherbert,
morganatic wife of George, Prince of Wales, afterwards
George IV. It was built by Sir Francis Child,
Lord Mayor of London in 1699, and was a plain white
house. Admiral Sir Charles Wager and Dr. Ekins,
Dean of Carlisle, lived here at different times.
The gardens stretched over much of the land now built
upon at the back, and contained a magnificent cedar-tree,
which had to be blown up by dynamite when the house
was pulled down. Sir Thomas Bodley, founder of
the Bodleian Library at Oxford, lived at Parson’s
Green from 1605 to 1609 (Lysons).
At the back of a network of small
streets to the east lies Eelbrook Common. In
Faulkner’s map, 1813, it is marked Hell-brook,
though in the printed matter he uses both titles.
It has been suggested that the title may have originally
been Hill-brook, as there was a curious rise in the
ground just to the west; but, on the other hand, eels
may have been common in the pond above referred to.
Faulkner gives a notice relative to it embodied in
an order relating to Wormholt Wood, presented at a
court held for the Manor of Fulham on May 9, 1603,
which runs as follows: “That no person
or persons shall put in any horse or other cattle
into Hell-brook until the last day of April every year
henceforth: nor shall not at any time after the
11th of May put in nor take out any of their said
cattles, any other way but the old and accustomed
way upon pain to forfeit to the lord for every such
offence L01.00.00.” In 1656 Colonel Edmund
Harvey, who had bought the manor confiscated under
the Commonwealth, agreed to pay fifty shillings yearly
to the poor for taking in the common called Hell-brook.
Through part of the land included in Eelbrook Common
runs the District Railway between Walham Green and
Parsons Green stations.
We now return to the junction of Parson’s
Green Lane and Fulham Road, called Purser’s
Cross, which has been variously written Persicross,
Percycross. The stone bearing inscription “Purser’s
Cross, 7th of August 1738,” is built into the
wall of the corner house, now a grocer’s shop.
It was originally in the house on the same site occupied
for a time by Madame Grisi. The stone itself
is very small, about 8 by 6 inches, and, being high
up, is rather difficult to see. The story goes
that the place was so called in memory of a highwayman,
who, being overtaken at the cross-roads, shot himself
after flinging his purse into the crowd, and was buried
here with a stake driven through his body. Purser’s
Cross is mentioned in the parish books in 1602.
Arundel Gardens were built over the
site of Arundel House, demolished in 1898.
The origin of the name Arundel House
is not known. It seems probable that the house
was originally a Tudor structure, as some unmistakable
Tudor mullions were found built up in an old wall;
yet the greater part of it dated from the Stuart period.
A large ornamental cistern which stood in the scullery
bore date 1703. The back view of the house, with
its irregular dark-brick buildings and additions, here
and there covered with creepers, was very picturesque.
Tradition says that Henry Hallam, the historian, lived
here about 1819.
Close at hand stands the Fulham Free
Public Library. It came into existence in 1886,
when an old building, standing a few feet back from
the main Fulham Road, was adapted for offices, lending
and reference rooms, and a new reading-room of magnificent
dimensions 70 by 30 feet, and 22 feet in
height was added at a cost of L6,000.
This was opened by the then Bishop of London, October
20, 1888.
Further westward, at the entrance
of Chesilton Place, stands Munster Park Wesleyan Chapel,
with a square tower surmounted by four high pinnacles.
It was opened in 1882.
At the west entrance of the Munster
Road stood Munster House, demolished in 1895.
Faulkner spells it Mustow or Munster, and in John Rocque’s
Survey of 1741-45 it is “Muster.”
Lysons says: “Mustow (commonly called Munster)
House on the north side of the road to London between
Fulham and Purses Cross was during the greater part
of the last century the property of the Powells, from
whom it came to Sir John Williams of Pengethly, Monmouthshire,
Baronet. It is now the property of Arthur Annesley
Powell, Esq., and is occupied as a school.”
Faulkner mentions the tradition of its having been
a hunting-seat of King Charles II. Croker says
it is supposed to owe its name to Melesina Schulenberg,
created by George II. Duchess of Munster.
For some time before it was pulled down it was used
as a lunatic asylum.
From Munster Road onwards the houses
on the south side of the Fulham Road are not aggressively
new. In the grounds of one of them Eridge
House there is a fine cedar, which shows
that the grounds must have belonged to some building
older than that standing at present, probably that
of Fulham Lodge. On the east of the High Street
stand All Saints’ National Schools. In
the continuation of the High Street is an old house
on the left-hand side called Fulham House. It
stands back on the east side of the road behind a
wall. Some of the carving on the fireplaces and
doors is very elaborate. In a large room upstairs
a sumptuously carved wooden mantel encloses a coloured
marble block with a white marble centre. The
door of this room is also very fine. The cellars
are extraordinarily large and massively built.
This used to be called Stourton House. Faulkner
mentions that in 1449 John Sherbourn and others sold
a house and garden at Fulham, then valued at 3d.
per annum, to John, first Lord Stourton, and it remained
in possession of the family many years. The Fulham
Pottery and Cheavin Filter Company stands just at
the corner of the New King’s Road and Burlington
Street. The business was established here by
John Dwight in 1671. Specimens of his stone-ware
are to be seen in the British Museum, which in 1887
acquired twelve new examples. It is said that
John Dwight, M.A., of Christ Church College, Oxford,
was the inventor of porcelain in England. He also
discovered the mystery of the Cologne ware, and successfully
competed with it in England. Doulton himself,
the founder of the great Doulton ware, was an apprentice
at Fulham. In 1840 the buildings were greatly
enlarged and improved, and again in 1864. The
ornamental pottery which is still made though
in a small quantity resembles Doulton ware,
but the great development of the industry has been
in the direction of glazed ware of great resisting
power. Cheavin’s patent filters are sent
all over the world, and a speciality is made of the
chemical trade, immense baths for the electro-plating
acids being supplied to Government.
Close at hand, at the back of High
Street, stood the old workhouse, which has been for
many years pulled down. At the back of the High
Street also was a gaol for female convicts, which has
now vanished. The gaol was built about 1854 on
the site of Burlington House, which had been a school.
Church Row is a charming old-fashioned
row, and the houses mentioned by Bowack as “very
handsome and airy” are probably those still standing.
At the end of the row are Sir William Powell’s
Almshouses, prettily designed with red-tiled roofs,
and at one end is a tower surmounted by statues of
female characters from the Bible. Directly across
the road is the old rectory-house. A shady avenue
of young limes leads up to the church. The tower,
which is square, is shown in old prints to have been
surmounted by a steeple. It contains a peal of
bells cast by Ruddle in the middle of the eighteenth
century; all the bells bear inscriptions, and many
of them the date of casting. Within the church
porch is a board with the following words: “1881.
The Parish Church of All Saints, Fulham, lapsed into
a state of decay, and, being subject to the floods
from the river Thames, was pulled down and rebuilt.
In the construction of the present church, stones
belonging to three previous churches, the oldest of
which apparently dated from the twelfth century, were
discovered.
“The east end has been carried
nine feet, and the south wall five feet, beyond the
limits of the previous church, while the floor of the
nave has been raised two feet nine inches, and the
roof thirteen feet above the former levels. The
cornerstone at the east angle of the north transept
was laid by Archibald Campbell Tait, 1880, and the
church was re-consecrated by John Jackson, Bishop
of London, on July 9th, 1881.”
The monuments preserved from the older
buildings stand in the church in rather different
order from formerly. In the west end is that in
remembrance of Viscount Mordaunt, son of the Earl of
Peterborough. It is a statue of a man larger
than life; the figure, which is carved in marble,
has a proud and defiant attitude. It stands on
a slab of black marble supported by a pedestal.
On either side on smaller pedestals are the Viscount’s
coronet and gauntlets. He is in Roman dress, and
holds a baton as Constable of Windsor Castle.
On the left is his pedigree engraved on marble.
The date inscribed on the tablet to his memory is
1675. At the west end of the north aisle is the
ancient font mentioned by Faulkner as standing in
the east end of the south aisle. It was the gift
of Mr. Thomas Hyll, churchwarden in 1622, and is of
stone, painted and gilt. On the east wall of
the north aisle are three monuments which attract
attention. That of “Payne of Pallenswick
Esqre,” who “hath placed this monument
to the memory of himself and Jane his wife who hath
lived with him in wedlock XLIIII years and died the
first day of May in Anno Dmi 1610, and the said William
Payne the day of ____ Anno Dmi ____. The sayd
William Payne hath given forever after his decease
an Ilande in the Ryver of Thames caled Makenshawe
to the use of the poor of this parish on Hammersmith
side.” The date of his own death not having
been filled in, it is probable he is buried elsewhere.
Next to his is the monument of Thomas Bonde, dated
March, 1600, with a quaint inscription beginning:
“At Earth in Cornwell was my first begininge,
from Bondes and Corringtons as it may apere.”
Next to this is the monument of Katharine Hart, of
which a representation is given by Faulkner. She
is kneeling with her two sons and two daughters, in
a style similar to the Lawrence monument in Chelsea
Old Church. The inscription bears date 1605.
On the north side of the chancel is a large monument
to Sir Thomas Smith, died November 28, 1609.
Opposite is that of Lady Margaret Legh, who is represented
life-size dressed in stiff ruff and farthingale, holding
an infant in swaddling bands on her knee. Another
infant in swaddling bands is on her left side.
Over her is an arch supported by pillars. The
coat of arms of her family rests in the centre of
the arch. She died July 3, 1603. The monument
has been very much admired. In the southern aisle
is the organ, with handsomely carved oak case.
On a jutting wall close by is a curious old brass
plate found buried in 1770. The inscription is
in Latin to Margaret Svanders, who died 1529.
The floor of the church is thickly covered with flat
tombstones. One of these is in memory of Thomas
Carlos, son of Colonel Careless, who hid in the oak-tree
with King Charles II., and who was consequently allowed
to change his name to Carlos, and to bear upon his
arms a branching oak-tree. The coat of arms on
the tomb is very distinct, and the date 1665.
Opposite to the Peterborough monument
at the west end is a very large marble monument in
memory of Dorothy Clarke, and her second husband.
A great marble urn upon it is said by Bowack to have
been the work of Grinling Gibbons, and to have cost
L300. A memorial window to Archbishop Tait is
fixed in the west end of the south aisle. In the
churchyard are the tombs of Bishops Compton, Robinson,
Gibson, Sherlock, Hayter, Terrick, and Lowth.
Here also is the grave of Theodore Hook, the wit,
with a perfectly plain stone at the head recording
his death, “24th Au in the 53rd year
of his age.”
Near the entrance to what are now
the public gardens stood Pryor’s Bank, a well-known
house, built about the beginning of the eighteenth
century in an ancient style. It was originally
called Vine Cottage, and was very elaborately fitted
up. Nearly all the doors were surrounded with
carving and golding. Many of them were of solid
oak, and the panelling in the rooms corresponded.
Two quaint old panels of painted wood in one of the
reception-rooms bore curious figures on pedestals;
underneath one who was in ecclesiastical robes was
written: “John Baylis, Lord Pryor, 1554,
of Werlock Abbey”; and under the other:
“William of Wickham, 1366, Bishop of Winchester.”
Close by Pryor’s Bank stood Egmont Lodge, where
Theodore Hook lived. It was a small house, pulled
down in 1855. The aspect of the whole of this
part has been completely changed of late years by
the building of a river-wall, and the laying out as
a public garden of the strip of ground by the river
called Bishop’s Park.
The grounds of this public park are
decorated with flower-beds and supplied with seats.
On part of the space once stood Craven Cottage, built
by the Margravine of Brandenburg when she was Countess
Craven. Sir E. Bulwer-Lytton lived here from
1840 to 1846. At the beginning of Bishop’s
Avenue is the entrance to the Manor House, or Fulham
Palace, as it is commonly called, the residence of
the Bishop of London. Passing between two lodges
of red brick, and following a short drive, we come
to a massive gateway with heavy oak doors. Through
this lies the first courtyard, very little altered
from Faulkner’s print in 1813. The Manor
of Fulham, as we have seen already, has belonged to
the See of London since about 691, when it was given
to Bishop Erkenwald and his successors by “Tyrtilus,
a bishop, with the consent of Sigehard, king of the
east Saxons and the king of the Mercians.”
Lysons adds that Tyrtilus, Bishop of Hereford, who
he supposes is intended, was contemporary with Erkenwald.
In 1647 it was sold to Colonel Harvey with the leasehold
land belonging to it for L7,617 8d., but was given
back to the See at the Restoration. In Domesday
Book we read: “In Fulham the Bishop of
London holds forty hides.... Its whole value is
forty pounds, the like when received in Edward’s
[the Confessor’s] time fifty pounds.”
The carriage-entrance is in Fulham
Palace Road, and this leads to an avenue of limes.
To the north lies a part of the public park, once a
field belonging to the Bishops. The drive crosses
the wonderful moat, which is nearly a mile in circuit,
and, if dug by the Danes as conjectured, must be a
thousand years old. This moat has given rise to
much discussion, as it is too far from the palace for
any purpose of defence, and the idea that it was made
by the Danes as a partial safeguard against the floods
of the river is that which gains most credence.
The palace is built round two courtyards,
and the one first entered is by far the older.
It was built by Bishop Fitzjames in the reign of Henry
VII., and the great gateway which leads to it bears
his arms cut in stone. There are few places that
preserve so completely their ancient aspect as this
courtyard; the material is red brick, and in summer,
when creepers climb over the worn bricks, its attractiveness
is greatly enhanced. The wing on the west or
river side contains the rooms used by Laud while Bishop;
this part has been refaced, and the buttresses were
added at the same time, but within it is unchanged.
Opposite, on the eastern side, are the rooms once
occupied by Bishop Bonner, which carry an association
no less interesting, though of a different kind.
The great porch facing the entrance gateway leads
into the hall, which is also part of Bishop Fitzjames’s
work. The hall is divided by a screen of dark
oak, which came from old Doctors’ Commons, and
the other oak fittings were brought here from the
former chapel, and originally belonged to the chapel
of London House, Aldersgate Street. A new ceiling
was put up by Bishop Sherlock, whose arms are over
the fireplace, in conjunction with a framed inscription
recording the building of Bishop Fitzjames on a site
where buildings had stood as far back as the Conquest.
The hall was at one time used as the chapel, of which
more will be told presently. In the same block
is the kitchen, once the dining-room.
In 1715 Bishop Robinson presented
a petition to the Archbishop of Canterbury, stating
that the palace was in a ruinous condition, and was
too large for the revenues. A number of commissioners,
amongst whom were Sir John Vanbrugh and Sir Christopher
Wren, were accordingly appointed to examine into the
matter and report upon it. The purport of their
report was that, after taking down “the bakehouse
and the pastry-house, which adjoined to the kitchen,
and all the buildings to the northward of the great
dining-room, there would be left between fifty and
sixty rooms beside the chapel, hall, and kitchen.”
These being judged sufficient for the use of the Bishop,
a license was granted to pull down what was superfluous
and put the rest into better condition.
However, in 1764 Bishop Terrick began
a further extension and rebuilding, and it is to him
we owe the idea of the second quadrangle or courtyard.
He died too soon to complete his project, and left
only the western wing of the new courtyard, but his
work was carried on by his successor, Sherlock.
The design was distinctly good, particularly for that
age of debased taste. Engravings of Sherlock’s
palace show battlemented angle towers, and a recessed
main building which is very picturesque. In the
southern wing he placed the library and dining-room,
and on the eastern side he made the chapel. When
Bishop Howley came into power, he set to work at once
to alter the palace of his predecessors, and replace
it by something which can only be described as a block.
He levelled the frontage between the towers, and cut
off the battlements, and made the building much as
we see it now, with the exception of the modernization
of some of the windows. Howley then converted
the building made for the chapel into the library,
which it still remains. It includes the famous
collection of books made by Bishop Porteous. The
rooms on the south side became under Bishop Howley’s
modifications the dining and drawing rooms, and the
great hall he used for a chapel.
It was not until 1867, under Bishop
Tait, that the present chapel was opened. It
is connected with the main building by a passage, and
stands on the river side of the palace. It was
designed by Mr. Butterfield, and is bright and well
proportioned. Behind the altar at present stands
a reredos of carved wood with a representation of
the Crucifixion.
The palace grounds have been considerably
curtailed by the formation of the public park, which
now bounds them riverwards. The idea of giving
this portion of land to the public was carried out
by Bishop Temple, though it originated with his predecessor.
The park includes the long strip above mentioned,
lying outside the moat, and the field to the north
already spoken of in connection with the drive.
The embankment has entirely altered the aspect of
this part of Fulham, and the days when the Bishop
of London “took water” at his private stairs
have gone for ever.
Within the palace gardens are many
curious specimens of trees not found elsewhere in
England. Bishop Grindal was the first of the Bishops
to take an interest in gardening, but it is to Bishop
Compton that we owe the real beauty of the gardens.
He was bold enough to defy James II., and to declare
in the House of Lords that the civil and ecclesiastical
constitution of the kingdom was in danger; he further
incensed the King by refusing to suspend a clergyman
who had preached a sermon against Roman Catholicism.
For this he himself was suspended, and not allowed
to exercise his ecclesiastical functions, though,
as according to the law, the temporalities of the
see were his own they could not be touched.
The Bishop therefore retired to Fulham and sought solace
among his plants, to the great gain of his successors
in the See.
But the palace and its grounds have
occupied us long enough, and the ramble through Fulham
must be resumed.
A small footbridge leads across the
moat to the churchyard. Crossing this, we find
ourselves in Church Row, which brings us to the junction
of the New King’s Road and the old High Street.
Following the New King’s Road and passing under
the railway, we come almost immediately to the shady
drive leading to Mulgrave House. Adjoining the
grounds of Mulgrave House are those of Hurlingham
Club, which cover fifty acres, and include a picturesque
lake. Pigeon-shooting, polo-playing, tennis, and
archery are all provided for. The entrance in
the Hurlingham Road leads to a well-kept drive, which
takes us straight up to the club-house. The house
is of white stone, and the front facing the river has
an arcade supported by enormous pillars running right
up to the cornice. On the west side is a fine
conservatory, on the east the large dining-rooms and
smoking-lounge, which have been added to meet requirements.
Within the house itself the drawing-room and coffee-room
have been ornamented with coloured designs on ceiling
and walls, and are very bright and handsomely furnished.
Many of the rooms upstairs have ornamented carved
cornices and panels. The club was started in 1867,
mainly for pigeon-shooting, under the auspices of
Mr. Frank Heathcote, who leased it from Mr. Naylor.
Before that time the house had been the residence of
the Horsley-Palmers and of Lord Egremont. In 1874
the property was bought by the club, and polo-playing
was begun. The King and Queen as Prince
and Princess of Wales and Duke and Duchess
of Edinburgh watched the first game in the June of
that year.
The ancient history of the house is
defective. In the churchwarden’s accounts
of the parish in 1681 we read: “It is ordered
that there be built and erected two small tenements
next to the north side of ye poore Almes Houses given
by John Lappy with such old stuff as was lately taken
downe from the Pest Houses in Hurlingham Field at ye
charge of the Parish contayning two roomes.”
And Faulkner adds an extract from Brayley’s
“London” to the above in the form of a
note: “Hurlingham Field is now the property
of the Earl of Ranelagh, and the site of his house.
It was here that great numbers of people were buried
during the plague.” The origin of the name
seems lost in obscurity, though it has been suggested,
perhaps facetiously, it was derived from the custom
of hurling the bodies of the plague dead into any
grave without care or compunction. Broom House,
next door, with adjoining grounds, is noticed in Rocque’s
1757 map, and is inscribed on Faulkner’s 1813
map as “Broom Houses.” Faulkner refers
to it as a little village, but mentions that “the
Dowager Countess of Lonsdale has an elegant house and
garden here in full view of the Thames.”
The place is said to have received its name from the
broom which grew here profusely. Broomhouse Road
runs from Hurlingham Road, past the gates of Broom
House, down to the river. It is a veritable lane,
with leafy trees shadowing it. On the east side,
a little above Broom House, is a very striking building
of red brick, with bright white stone facings, and
a square central tower surmounted by four pinnacles.
This is the Elizabeth Free School, founded and endowed
by Mr. Sulivan of Broom House, in 1855. Further
down the road, close by the river, is Carnwath House,
the residence of the Earl of Carnwath. It is
irregularly built of brick. Beyond it is a raised
path, which winds along by the river and leads past
acres of market-gardens, in which are large plum-orchards.
Northward is Parsons Green, so called
from the fact that the old rectory-house stood on
the west side. Lysons says: “Parsonage
house stands upon the west side of Parsons or Parsonage
Green, to which it gave its name. It is now divided
into two tenements. In the year 1598 it was in
the tenure of Sir Francis Walsingham’s widow.”
Bowack, in 1705, wrote that it was old and much decayed.
He says an old stone building adjoining seemed to
be 300 or 400 years old, and might have been used
for religious services by the Rectors and their households.
Parson’s Green was once a very fashionable place;
in Strype’s edition of Stow’s “Survey”
it is commented on as having “very good houses
for gentry.” St. Dionis’ Church is
a noticeable object, built of red brick, with Bath
stone dressings. Though only consecrated on June
18, 1885, it carries with it associations from an
older building, St. Dionis Backchurch, which stood
at the corner of Lime Street and Fenchurch Street.
When that church had been pulled down, the pulpit,
font, and altar were transferred to the new building
at Fulham, and L10,000 was devoted out of the proceeds
of the sale of the site for the use and endowment of
the new church. The pulpit and font date from
1666. The plate also is interesting, including
two flagons, four chalices, four patens, etc.,
which are of various dates from 1625 to 1725.
A large red-brick hall, separated from the church
by Rectory Road, is used as a mission-hall. A
few steps further northward, partly hidden from the
road by intervening buildings, was the old house called
Rosamund’s Bower. Before its demolition
in 1892 it was quaintly pretty, with leaded window-panes
and red-tiled roof, and was then known as Audley Cottage.
It was called Rosamond’s Bower first in order
to perpetuate the tradition of its standing on the
site of a mansion of Fair Rosamund. The earliest
mention of it is in 1480, when it was valued at ten
marks per annum. It belonged to Sir Michael Wharton
before 1725, and when he died in that year it was
divided between his co-heirs. It was the residence
of Mr. Crofton Croker between 1837 and 1846, and he
has written a very full account of it. Samuel
Richardson came to Parson’s Green in 1755 from
North End. In Ashington Road stands the Church
of the Holy Cross, a Roman Catholic building of plain
yellow brick, with a cross at each end, built in 1886.
Just after leaving Parson’s Green, there is on
the right a high red-brick wall, which shows signs
of age. Within it stood until recently Peterborough
House, the second of the name. The original Peterborough
House stood on the site of one still older, known as
Brightwells. It was the property of John Tarnworth,
Privy Councillor to Queen Elizabeth, and he died here
in 1569.
Sir Thomas Knolles afterwards owned
it, and sold it in 1603 to Sir Thomas Smith, whose
only daughter married the Hon. Thomas Carey. It
was he who pulled down the old house and built a new
one, calling it Villa Carey. Carey’s daughter
married Viscount Mordaunt, younger son of the Earl
of Peterborough. The house recently demolished
only dated from the beginning of the nineteenth century.
Bowack describes the old house as a “very large
square regular Pile, built of brick, and has a gallery
all round it upon the roof.” Building of
red-brick mansions and small houses is being carried
on vigorously all about here, and the face of the
district has changed very rapidly.
Wandsworth Bridge Road runs across
Townmead Road to the bridge. On the south of
Townmead Road there is a small hospital for small-pox,
built in 1876. Below it lies West Wharf.
Eastward acres of market-gardens extend right up to
the premises of the Imperial Gasworks. This part
of the parish is called Sands End. Somewhere
about here a very ancient house, called Grove House,
stood. Rocque marks it “The Grove”
in 1757 and 1761. The house called Sandford Manor
is still standing, and is very little changed from
the small print of it given on the title-page of Faulkner’s
large edition. It is a small white house close
to Stanley Bridge, and has been often spoken of as
if it were included in Chelsea. Addison, who
lived here, used to date his letters from Chelsea.
Therefore the house has been more particularly described
in the section devoted to Chelsea. The Manor
of Sandford is first mentioned in 1403, when Henry,
Earl of Northumberland, gave it to the Dean and Chapter
of St. Martin-lé-Grand in exchange for a
house in Aldersgate Street. King Henry VIII. granted
the collegiate church of St. Martin and endowments
to Westminster. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster
granted the manor to the King again in 1549.
It was sold by Queen Mary to the Maynards, in whose
family it remained till 1756.
We have now traversed Fulham from
end to end, beginning at the north-east corner, and
ending in the south-east corner close to Stanley Bridge.
Fulham can boast with pride of one ancient mansion the
palace of the Bishops of London and of
one literary reminiscence that of Richardson worthy
to rank, if not in the very first class, yet somewhere
near it.