By J. C. GEIKIE.
The first mention made of Putney styled
“Putenhie” in the Conqueror’s Domesday
Book, and “Puttenheth” in all subsequent
records is in connection with the fishery
and ferry which existed here at the time of the Conquest.
In 1663 the fishery was held for the three best salmon
caught in March, April, and May, but this rent was
afterwards converted to a money value. At the
sale of Sir Theodore Janssen’s estates the fishery
was let for L6 per annum. The rent was afterwards
increased to L8, and a lease upon those terms expired
in 1780. Since 1786 this fishery has been abandoned.
Mention is also made that occasionally a porpoise
was caught here, and, as a matter of fact, two watermen
shot one here lately; but it was confiscated, and
the men fined for discharging firearms on the river.
The ferry at the time of the Conquest yielded 20s.
a year to the Lord of the Manor, and Putney appears
at all times to have been a considerable thoroughfare,
as it was usual formerly for persons travelling from
London to the West of England to come as far as this
by water. In Elizabeth’s reign it was ordered
that watermen should pay a halfpenny for every stranger,
and a farthing for every inhabitant of Putney, to
the ferry-owner, or be fined 2d. In 1629
the Lord of the Manor received 15s. per year for the
ferry.
In 1726, the twelfth year of George
I.’s reign, an Act of Parliament was passed
for building a wooden bridge from Putney to Fulham,
which was finished in the year 1729 at an expense
of L23,975, and the ferry was bought up, those interested
in it being paid proportionately. The plan for
the bridge was drawn by the celebrated Mr. Cheselden,
Surgeon of Chelsea Hospital. The bridge was 789
feet long and 24 feet wide, with openings for vessels
to pass through, the largest of which, in the centre,
was named Walpole’s Lock, in honour of Sir Robert
Walpole, who helped to procure the Act of Parliament
to build the bridge. A toll of a halfpenny was
charged foot-passengers, and on Sundays this was doubled,
for the purpose of raising a fund of L62 a year, which
was divided annually between the widows and children
of poor watermen belonging to Putney and Fulham as
a recompense to the fraternity, who were not allowed
to ply on Sundays after the building of the bridge.
This bridge was purchased by the Corporation of London,
and by them transferred to the Board of Works, who
erected in the years 1884-1886 the present substantial
stone bridge on the site formerly occupied by the aqueduct
of the Chelsea Waterworks Company. The approaches
on both sides have been greatly improved, and it is
now toll-free.
The parish church of St. Mary’s
stands on the river-bank adjoining the bridge, and
was originally built as a chapel of ease to Wimbledon,
and, owing to absence of all records, the date of
its erection cannot be ascertained, though it is certainly
older than the church at Mortlake (1348), for Archbishop
Winchelsea held a public ordination in it as far back
as 1302. The stone tower is of more recent date,
being probably not later than the middle of the fifteenth
century. The church suffered greatly in the dreadful
storm which happened in November, 1703. Facing
south on its tower is a sundial with the appropriate
motto, “Time and tide stay for no man.”
Pepys makes frequent mention of Putney
and the church, and his contemporary Evelyn also speaks
of the village. This place maintained its suburban
character until a few years ago, and it is not long
since the High Street was represented as having one
broad pavement lined with stately trees, and a kennel
on either side, by means of which the road was watered
in summer. From the bridge westward the river
has been embanked and a promenade built and lined
with seats, and this is a favourite spot on warm summer
evenings. At the far end of this broad road are
the boat-houses of the London, Thames, Leander, and
other well-known clubs, mostly of brick, with dressing-rooms
upstairs and wide balconies giving fine views of the
river. Some boat-building and oar-making also
is to be found here, as this is the headquarters of
London rowing, and noted for the Oxford and Cambridge
Boat-race. This race was first rowed at Henley
in 1829, next from Westminster to Putney in 1836,
and that course was adhered to until 1851, when that
from Putney to Mortlake was adopted, and this, save
on three occasions in the years 1846, 1856,
1863 has since been the battle-ground of
the Universities.
After leaving the High Street at the
bridge end, the way to the river-bank is down what
was formerly Windsor Street, but is now known as part
of the Lower Richmond Road; and here on the south side,
covering the site of River Terrace, now torn down,
and River Street, stood “the Palace,”
so called from its having been frequently honoured
by the presence of royalty. It is described as
having been a spacious red-brick mansion of the Elizabethan
style of architecture, forming three sides of a square,
with plate-glass windows overlooking the river, and
possessed of extensive gardens and pleasure-grounds.
It was built within a courtyard, and approached by
iron gates. It occupied the site of the ancient
mansion of the Welbecks, and was erected by John Lacey,
citizen and clothworker of London, in 1596. Queen
Elizabeth honoured Lacey with her company more frequently
than any of her subjects, and between the years 1579
and 1603 at least twelve or fourteen visits of hers
to this house at Putney are recorded. The house
is mentioned as the headquarters of Fairfax in 1647.
In that year, when Charles I. was at Hampton Court,
all the Parliamentary Generals were at Putney.
Cromwell was at Mr. Bonhunt’s, the site of which
is not known; Ireton at Mr. Campion’s (a school
in the occupation of Rev. Mr. Adams when Lysons wrote,
and now covered by Cromwell Place); Fleetwood was
at Mr. Martin’s; and the other officers at neighbouring
mansions, of which at that time there seem to have
been many. Councils were held in the church, seated
round the Communion-table, the officers afterwards
listening to a sermon. Two days after the King
escaped from Hampton the army quitted Putney, having
been there some three months.
Facing the river near the Putney Steamboat
Pier is a big hotel, the Star and Garter, for long
a landmark at Putney, and recently rebuilt in all
the splendour of red brick and gilt. Beyond this
formerly stood a number of old houses Clyde
House, Riverside House, Thanet Lodge, Laburnum House,
Windsor House, and Point House; these had tiled roofs
and bay-windows, and formed a picturesque group.
They have recently been replaced by large mansions,
called Star and Garter, and University Mansions.
In Spring Gardens was formerly a curious collection
of the cottages of watermen and boatmen, but these
have now vanished. The lane has been paved and
the whole district altered.
West of this as far as the common
many alterations have taken place in the last few
years, and now the market-gardens and fields are covered
with street after street of small two-storied cottages
stretching in straight lines from the Lower Richmond
Road to the river. The same applies to the district
between here and the Upper Richmond Road as far west
as the London boundary at Northumberland Terrace.
Here stood until recently prolific gardens and orchards,
but now the site is covered with streets arranged
as closely as possible, and filled with a rather better
style of dwellings than those to the northward.
Passing west, we come at length to
the gateway of the Ranelagh Club at Barn Elms.
From this entrance, with its large gates and porter’s
lodge, the private road runs over the Beverley Brook,
and, swerving to the west, enters the park proper.
This manor was given by Athelstane to the Canons of
St. Paul’s, and is still held by them. The
mansion of Barn Elms was formerly in the possession
of Sir Francis Walsingham, and here in 1589 he entertained
Queen Elizabeth. Pepys and Evelyn both make mention
of this place in their diaries, and it was here that
the duel was fought January 16, 1678 between
the Earl of Shrewsbury and the Duke of Buckingham.
The meetings of the Kitcat Club were held here in a
room specially built for the purpose by Jacob Tonson,
the bookseller, who lived in a house formerly known
as Queen Elizabeth’s Dairy, and died there November
25, 1735. At present Ranelagh rivals Hurlingham
as a social outdoor club, and the merits of the respective
grounds are a matter of opinion.
On the Lower Common, standing out
by themselves, are two old houses, Elm Lodge and West
Lodge, in big gardens sliced off the common. The
houses are fancifully painted, and half hidden behind
a privet hedge and a row of elms. The common
to the south is bare of bushes, but to the north there
are still big clumps of gorse and brambles, with many
straggling trees between. Putney Cemetery is
on the common, and further west that of Barnes is
seen. At the beginning of the Mill Hill Road is
an old cottage hidden behind closely-trimmed trees
and a high hedge, the residence of the cattle gate-keeper,
whose duty it was in former years to prevent the straying
of animals from the parish of Barnes into that of
Putney. The gate has been removed, but the place
marks the London boundary, which follows the line
of the big ditch due south across the Lower to the
Upper Richmond Road.
On the south side of the Lower Common
stands a long row of staring Queen Anne cottages,
and at the east end of them the Church of All Saints,
in the Early English style, erected in 1874, with
schools close by. Hidden away behind the church
is an old wooden farmhouse, the last of many that
formerly dotted these fields.
Passing eastwards, the Upper Road
leads to the Charlwood Road, and across the railway-bridge
the new streets, Norroy and Chelverton Roads, have
been made as far as the High Street through the grounds
of The Lawn, an old house which stood next the Spotted
Horse. To the west short roads have been pushed
out into the market-gardens, and north, at the angle,
stands the Quill Inn, behind which Quill Alley, a narrow
paved passage skirting the backs of the houses, leads
into a labyrinth of small streets set at all angles
and of all degrees of respectability. There are
many newly-built flats on either side of Quill Alley.
Every foot of ground is taken up, and from the Coopers’
Arms to Gardeners’ Lane the district is compact
with small houses and shops. Here in Walker’s
Place, a square of old houses, with gardens in front,
under the shadow of an enormous brewery, was formerly
a little wooden tumbledown inn known as the Coat and
Badge. This has been rebuilt; it was so called
from the insignia of the actor Doggett’s annual
prize for Thames watermen. At the end of this
lane stands an old hostelry, the Coopers’ Arms,
and at the end of Gardeners’ Lane was another,
the Bull and Star, also rebuilt recently. Gardeners’
Lane leads through a closely built up settlement to
the Whirlpool, and here the last remnant of the market-gardens
is to be found.
In the High Street, which is fast
altering its character, there are one or two old houses,
but the greater number are modern. The Public
Library, which is situate in Disraeli Road, leading
off the High Street, was first established in 1887.
It is only since 1899 that it has occupied its present
building, which, with the site, was the gift of Sir
George Newnes, Bart., M.P., and was opened by the late
Lord Russell of Killowen, Lord Chief Justice of England.
To the east of the High Street the
residential part of Putney is built up of new, clean
streets, laid out on the market-gardens and orchards
that till recently occupied most of this district.
In Northfield Square stood several
fine old houses, one of which, Fairfax House, made
way for the Montserrat Road at its High Street end;
and another, Grove House, said to originally have been
a convent, and associated by tradition with the name
of Oliver Cromwell, disappeared when the western end
of Disraeli Road was made. The railway-station
adjoining occupies the site of some very old houses,
and in the railway-cutting the workmen came upon a
sewer, in which were discovered some silver spoons
of ancient date. A Baptist chapel in the Werter
Road, Oxford Congregational Chapel in the Oxford Road,
and Emanuel Church in the Upper Richmond Road, supply
the religious needs of the neighbourhood.
Passing along the Putney Bridge Road
from the High Street, Brewhouse Lane runs north to
the waterside; on one side are rows of new shops, on
the other a swimming-bath. This lane was formerly
one of the principal landings for ferry passengers
to Putney, but to-day is almost deserted. An
engraving of Fulham by Preist in 1738 is evidently
taken from the steps, and shows the bridge and Fulham
Church. From this landing a fine view is to be
had of Putney Bridge; upstream and downstream is seen
the big iron lattice bridge that carries the District
Railway over from Fulham on its way to Wimbledon.
A soap-boiler’s establishment with several smaller
yards makes the lane busy, but there are still a lot
of small cottages some very old of
a poor type, and rented for the most part by labourers.
Passing on, the almshouses founded
by Sir Abraham Dawes are on the south side. He
was a farmer of the Customs, an eminent loyalist of
the reign of Charles II., and one of the richest commoners
of the time. Originally built for twelve almsmen
and almswomen, they have been latterly occupied entirely
by women. The north side of the road is here substantially
built up, and the Deodar, Florian, and Merivale Roads
on the Cedars Estate are comparatively new. Two
old houses, Cedar Lodge and Crest House, remain, with
Park Lodge at the corner of the Atney Road, newly
fronted, but below the grade of the road. To the
railroad arch which spans the road are built on the
north side a row of new cottages with shops opposite.
Beyond the arch at the bend of the road, which is here
narrowed by an old house encroaching on the footpath,
is a fine old mansion, Moulinere House.
Returning whence we came, we pass
up the High Street and come to Putney Hill, which
forms a test of the endurance of cyclists.
At the base of Putney Hill stands
The Pines, the residence of Swinburne the poet.
Here, where modern villas have risen most recently,
and stately trees fallen most rapidly, stood Lime
Grove, the seat of Lady St. Aubyn. This mansion
derived its name from a grove of limes through which
the road to the house formerly led; and it was here
in 1737 that Edward Gibbon, the historian, was born.
He was educated in Putney till his ninth year, when
he was sent to a public school at Kingston. It
was on Putney Hill that the following event occurred:
When Cardinal Wolsey ceased to be the holder of the
Great Seal of England, and, obeying the mandate of
Henry VIII., quitted the Palace of Whitehall, he removed
to his palace at Esher. Embarking at Whitehall
Stairs, he went by water to Putney, and started up
the hill, but was overtaken by one of the royal Chamberlains,
Sir John Norris, who presented him with a ring as a
token of a continuance of His Majesty’s favour.
Stow tells how Wolsey at once got off his mule unaided,
and, kneeling down in the dirt on both knees, held
up his hands for joy at the King’s most comfortable
message.
Passing up the hill, a few new streets
are being pushed into the fields, which are, however,
still continuous to the westward, the limit of building
being apparently reached for a time in that direction,
and, after a short climb past fine houses with spacious
grounds and drives, we come to Putney Heath near the
Green Man, a quaint little road-house of the last
century; close by it is the old cattle-pound.
The heath, of some 400 acres, somewhat resembles that
of Hampstead, and from the higher ground some excellent
views are to be obtained, whilst the sandy hollows
and surface are plentifully covered with heather, gorse,
and brambles. On the northern side, facing the
road which leads to Roehampton, are many fine houses among
others, Grantham House, the residence of Lady Grantham;
Ashburton House; Exeter House, occupied by the second
Marquis of Exeter, who, divorced from his Marchioness,
wooed and won for his bride a country girl under the
guise of an artist; Gifford House; and Dover House,
the seat originally of Lord Dover, afterwards of Lord
Clifden, and now the residence of J. Pierpont Morgan.
To the west of the heath lie Putney Park and Roehampton.
Putney Park styled Mortlake Park in old
memorials was reserved to the Crown by
Henry VIII. Charles I. granted the park to Richard,
Earl of Pembroke, who here erected a splendid mansion,
which soon after his decease was sold, together with
the park, to Sir Thomas Dawes, by whom it was again
disposed of to Christina, Countess of Devonshire, whom
Charles II. visited at this place with the Queen-mother
and the Royal Family.
Putney Heath is divided by the Portsmouth
Road, which starts at the Green Man and meets the
Kingston Road at the foot of the hill in Putney Bottom,
and facing this road are many fine houses, as well
as the reservoirs of the Chelsea Water Company, from
which water is conveyed to the Middlesex side of the
Thames by pipes beneath the roadway of Putney Bridge.
To the south of the reservoirs is
a fine new house Wildcroft, the residence of Sir George
Newnes, Bart., which stands in the grounds of the
old Fireproof House, lately pulled down. This
house was erected in 1776 by David Hartley, son of
the celebrated Dr. Hartley, to demonstrate the efficacy
of his plan for securing buildings from fire.
This plan consisted in thin sheets of iron and of
copper being laid between floor and ceiling to prevent
the ascent of heated air from the lower to the upper
rooms. The lower part of this house was repeatedly
set on fire in the presence, among others, of the
King and Queen, the members of Parliament, the Lord
Mayor, and the Aldermen. The House of Commons
granted Hartley L2,500 in aid of the expenses incurred,
and the Corporation erected in the grounds an obelisk which
can be plainly seen from the Kingston Road recording
the experiments of the grant. The heath was the
scene of many duels, among others, in May, 1652, Lord
Chandos and Colonel Compton fought with fatal issue,
Compton being killed. In May, 1798, on a Sunday
afternoon, William Pitt, the Prime Minister, who lived
in the Bowling-Green House close by, fought a bloodless
battle with William Tierney, M.P.; and in September,
1809, an encounter took place between Lord Castlereagh
and George Canning, when the latter was wounded in
the thigh. This last duel was fought near the
Admiralty semaphore erected in 1796, the site of which
is indicated by the Telegraph Inn immediately behind
Wildcroft. Across the corner of the green from
the inn is Bristol House, which owes its name to the
Bristol family, who possessed it till a few years
ago, and which was for some two years the residence
of Mrs. Siddons. A part of the estate has been
built on; many handsome residences have been erected.
Next is a large mansion, Highlands,
and west of it is the historical Bowling-Green House,
a low, two-storied mansion painted white, with large
windows, and the Pitt arms over the doorway. In
this house, shaded by fine trees, with a beautiful
prospect from the lawn, lived for some years William
Pitt, the Prime Minister; and here, on June 23, 1806,
he died. The house derives its name from the
bowling-green formerly attached to it, and for more
than sixty years (1690-1750) the most famous green
in the neighbourhood of London. The house had
large rooms for public breakfasts and assemblies,
was a fashionable place of entertainment, and noted
for “deep play.” South of this Bowling
Green House is Scio, a charming residence, with beautiful
lawns facing the main Kingston Road, in the Gothic
style, and from here the flagstaff and windmill on
the heath are noticed. Close by was the gallows
in the olden time, and here it was that one of the
last of the highwaymen Jeremiah Abershaw hung
in chains in 1795, after suffering the penalty of the
law on Kingston Common, then the place of execution
for Surrey. Being crossed by a main road, this
dreary neighbourhood was formerly much frequented
by footpads and highwaymen. Aubrey mentions the
gallows near here, and adds that Roman urns are often
found in the dry, gravelly ground.
Putney Heath merges into Wimbledon
Common, a fine expanse of 1,000 acres of breezy upland.
The headquarters of the National Rifle Association
till 1889 were in the Windmill, a picturesque landmark
seen from far and near; but owing to increasing danger
and the enormous crowds that flocked to the camp it
was removed to Bisley in Surrey. The Windmill
was formerly a favourite resort of duellists.
Some distance from the windmill is Caesar’s
Well, the most historical spot on Wimbledon Common,
and its water is said to possess medicinal properties.
This common and Putney Heath were in the last century
the scene of frequent reviews. George III. reviewed
the Surrey volunteers here in 1799, as he had previously
done the Guards in 1767; and Charles II., in 1684,
also reviewed his forces on the heath. At the
north-west corner of the heath lies the village of
Roehampton, snugly nestling in a valley, and consisting
of a small cluster of houses. The centre of the
village is at the angle of Roehampton Lane, where
a drinking-fountain, a gift of Mr. Lyne-Stephens,
stands in the road, with the Catholic chapel of St.
Joseph’s, approached through a beautiful carved
oaken lych-gate, facing it. This chapel and rectory
stand in the grounds of Manresa House, a training
college of the Jesuit Fathers. To the north is
a quaint old village inn, the Montague Arms, flanked
by a row of old cottages. Ponsonby Road and Medfield
Street are lined with small houses, for the most part
new, very clean, and well kept. The parochial
schools, in two buildings, for boys and girls, are
in the Ponsonby Road on the hillside, and between
them is a church, completed in 1899. In the High
Street, which is built up with small shops for a short
distance, stands on the north side, well back from
the road, the King’s Head Inn, with its wonderful
signboard displayed in the garden, its big, old-fashioned
bay-windows, curious low-ceilinged rooms, and weather-boarded
sides, shaded by great elms, giving it a very picturesque
aspect. The gardens, with tables set out in little
nooks, and the stables of the house across the yard,
complete a picture, of which few are to be found near
London now. In this street is one of the buildings
of St. Mary’s Convent, a red-brick pile used
as a laundry.
Returning to Roehampton Lane, and
passing up the rise to the south, we come to the Alton
Road, lined with good houses, and a little to the west
the Bessborough Road falls into it, and runs through
a favourite residential district built up with fine
dwellings. Here the hollows made by gravel-digging
on the edge of the heath are being, in a measure,
filled up with earth from the building going on near
by, and opposite The Elms, on the brow of the common,
a peculiar tomblike building is noticed. This
is merely a spring-house covering the artesian well
that supplies the drinking-fountain in the village.
At Highwood, a solidly-built mansion, we come to the
Portsmouth Road, and after passing several villas,
to Kingston Road at the foot of the hill. Here,
on the west side, Richmond Park stretches parallel
with the road, the enclosing wall being so close to
the road as to give the houses hardly any garden;
still, from here to the Robin Hood Gate there are many
pretty villas, and at Beverley Brook a row of cottages
has been erected close to the wall. On the east
side of the road a new cemetery of the Putney Burial
Board is under the lee of the hill, and beyond are
fields stretching southward, running up to and meeting
Wimbledon Common. In the hollow adjoining the
main road is the Newlands Farmhouse to which these
acres belong, and adjoining is the Halfway House,
at one time an inn said to have been the favourite
drinking-place of the highwayman Abershaw. Stag
Lane leads to the common, and further on Beverley Brook
is crossed, here a narrow strip of Wimbledon Common
meets the highroad. This stream from here, through
the park, and across Barnes Common into the Thames,
is the western boundary of London, and by following
it we pass cottages on the right, and may note the
beautiful views to the east toward Wimbledon and Combe.
If we turn into Richmond Park through the Robin Hood
Gate, so called from the roadside inn near, we come
to one of the prettiest corners of the park, from
which roads diverge in all directions. On the
rise to the west is White Lodge, at one time the residence
of the Duke and Duchess of Teck, parents of the
Princess of Wales; and bearing to the right we see
the deer-paddock, with Silver Hill and the King’s
Farm Lodge. The area of the park is a little
over 2,015 acres, and it was formed by Charles I.
in the early years of his reign out of wood and waste
land. The wall eleven miles in circumference was
built without consulting the owners and tenants of
the houses and farms enclosed. In 1649 this park
was given to the City of London in perpetuity, but
was handed back again to Charles II. on his restoration.
The Princess Amelia closed the public rights of way
through the demesne, but in 1758 a decision of the
courts renewed this privilege.
Leaving the park on the right, we
see Mount Clare, built in 1772 by George Clive, and
named in honour of Claremont, the residence at Esher
of his relative Lord Clive. On the west side of
Priory Lane are three mansions, of which one, Clarence
House, was for awhile the residence of the Duke of
Clarence, afterwards William IV. Clarence Lane
skirts the grounds of Grove House, which was in the
reign of George IV. the residence of the celebrated
danseuse, Mademoiselle Duvernay. The
lane comes out into Roehampton Lane opposite Roehampton
House, a fine red-brick building, with wings, erected
in 1712. The ceiling of the saloon has a painting
of the Banquet of the Gods by Sir James Thornhill,
the father-in-law of Hogarth.
Southward, nearer to the park, are
Cedar Court and Downshire House, two fine old mansions,
the latter for a time the residence of the Marchioness
of Downshire, and now a training college for army and
navy students. At a bend in the road, where it
goes downhill, is a quaint old-fashioned house, The
Cottage, curiously built. To the west the view
is charming toward the park. Holy Trinity Church,
now closed, was built in the middle of the nineteenth
century, but the original church was consecrated by
Archbishop Laud.
A very fine cedar stands in the churchyard,
and on the north is the large and costly mausoleum
of the Stephens family. Further north is the
Convent of the Sacred Heart, standing in Roehampton
Park, a spacious Gothic edifice, and opposite is the
Rookery, alongside of which runs a lane through beautiful
meadows past Putney House into Putney Park Lane.
Towards Barnes, in Roehampton Lane, standing in wide
grounds, are several family mansions, of which Lower
Grove House, Subiaco Lodge, Ellenborough House, and
Roehampton Lodge, are some of the best known.
The new polo club, which it is prophesied by its originators
will outshine Hurlingham and Ranelagh, has its grounds
between Priory and Roehampton Lanes at their northern
ends.
Roehampton Lane runs into Upper Richmond
Road at its junction with Lower Richmond Road.
Barnes Common, one of the prettiest of the bits of
wild land near London, is rather cut up by the railroad.
To the London boundary in the west, that is the Priests’
Bridge over Beverley Brook, the road runs between
hedges most of the way, but near the bridge are a
few cottages and small shops. The Manor House
stands at the junction of the upper and lower roads,
and wears an air of solidity, compared with its newer
neighbours nearer town. It faces a small angle
of lawn, backed by a hedge of rhododendrons, and is
a plain, square, two-story dwelling with a porch,
flanked by greenhouses; the walls are hidden behind
ivy that climbs to the tiled roof. East of the
Manor House rows of red-brick cottages on the north
side stretch to Dyers Lane, and opposite is Putney
Park Avenue, with its small cottages closely built;
there are fields before Putney Park Lane which is
lined with tall Scotch firs. Workmen digging
here disclose the depth of fine sand and gravel which
underlies all this region and gives it such perfect
surface drainage. A gate marked “Private”
leads into Putney Park Lane, and passing south under
an avenue of magnificent elms, with the remains of
orchards and market-gardens to the east and rolling
fields to the west, we pass Putney Park House, and
beyond a nurseryman’s gardens see the Granard
Presbyterian Church, a stone church with slated spire,
standing at the corner of the lane that leads across
the fields and past orchards and market-gardens to
Howard’s Lane. Westward from the church
another lane leads through pleasant meadows, with
beautiful views of the mansions that lie back from
the roads, and comes out at the convent in Roehampton
Lane. Towards Putney Heath two large houses are
seen Granard Lodge in the Putney Park Lane,
and Summerfield behind it. Passing down the lane
from the church and entering Howard’s Lane we
find a district of new houses to the north, in straight
rows at regular intervals, gauged, apparently, by
the size of the backyards. To the south one row
of small cottages, Upper Park Fields, juts out into
the market-gardens, which, with the fields behind,
are still free from buildings. At the western
end of Howard’s Lane is a large tennis-ground
belonging to a local club, while beyond is seen the
advance of bricks and mortar towards the west.
Carmalt Gardens leads into the Upper Richmond Road
at its best part, for all the houses here are of a
good style and size. At the corner of Gwendolen
Avenue stands a Wesleyan Methodist church of stone,
with a square tower, and south a few houses flank
it; but though all this land was lately open it is
now built over. At the St. John’s Road,
however, buildings have rapidly risen, and the Church
of St. John at the corner of the Ravenna Road is now
surrounded by a well-built-up neighbourhood.
Cambalt Road is also new, with strange types of houses,
and behind this, again, is another avenue, Chartfield
Road, filled with new houses, running through to Putney
Hill. South of this rise the well-wooded grounds
of the large houses on the hill, with fields to the
westward.
And thus we take leave of Putney,
one of the pleasantest of the London suburbs, as well
as the most accessible. The immense increase in
the number of houses in late years testifies to its
popularity; but there is still an almost unlimited
extent of open ground which cannot be covered; and
with wood and water, common and hill, there will always
be an element of freshness and openness in Putney
seldom to be obtained so near London.