THE GARDENS OF VERSAILLES AND THE TRIANONS
Versailles without its court of marble,
its fountains, its gardens and its park, and the attendant
Grand and Petit Trianons, would hardly have the attraction
that it has to-day.
The ensemble is something of more
vast and varied extent than is to be seen elsewhere,
though its aspect has somewhat changed from what it
was of old, and the crowds of Sunday and holiday visitors
give the courts and alleyed walks somewhat the aspect
of a modern amusement resort.
The gardens of Versailles were but
the framing of a princely dwelling created to respond
to the requirements of a court which was attempting
to do things on a grand scale. Everything was
designed with most magnificent outlines; everything
was royal, in all verity architecture,
garden-making, fêtes, receptions and promenades.
What setting, then, could have been more appropriate
to the life of the times?
Versailles, the town, had never prospered,
and has never proved sufficiently attractive to become
a popular suburb; and, though to-day it passed the
mark of half a hundred thousand population, it never
would have existed at all had it not been for the
palace of Louis XIV.
Were it not for the palace and its
attributes, Versailles would have absolutely no memories
for visitors, except such as may have lunched well
at the Hotel des Reservoirs or the Hotel
du Trianon. That is not everything, to be sure;
but it is something, even when one is on an historic
pilgrimage.
Even in the day of Louis XVI the popular
taste was changing and Versailles was contemptuously
referred to as a world of automota, of cold, unfeeling
statuary and of Noah’s Ark trees and forests.
There was always a certain air of self-satisfaction
about it, as there is, to-day, when the Parisian hordes
come out to see the waters play, and the sight-seers
marvel at the mock splendour and the scraps of history
doled out for their delectation by none-too-painstaking
guardians.
In spite of all this, no sober-minded
student of art or history will ever consider Versailles,
the palace and the park, as other than a superb and
a spectacular demonstration of the taste of the times
in which it was planned, built and lived in.
Versailles was begun in 1624 by Louis
XIII, who built here a humble hunting-lodge for the
disciples of Saint Hubert of whom he was the royal
head. So humble an erection was it that the monarch
referred to it simply as a “petite maison”
and paid for it out of his own pocket, a rare enough
proceeding at that epoch.
The critical Bassompierre called it
a “chetif chateau,” and Saint-Simon
referred to it as a “house of cards.”
Manifestly, then, it was no great thing. It was,
however, a comfortable country-house, surrounded by
a garden and a more ample park.
It was not Lemercier, the presiding
genius of the Louvre at this time, but an unknown
by the name of Le Roy, whom Louis XIII chose as his
architect.
Boyceau traced the original parterres
with a central basin at a crossroads of two wide avenues.
Each of the four compartments thus made was ornamented
with broderies and trimmed hedges, and the open
spaces were ingeniously filled with parti-coloured
sands, or earth. A parterre of flowers
immediately adjoined the palace and rudimentary alleys
and avenues stretched off towards the wood. Although
designed by Boyceau, this work was actually executed
by his nephew, Jacques de Menours, who, with difficulty,
collected his pay. His books of account showed
that in five years, from 1631 to 1636, he had drawn
but once a year a sum varying from fifteen hundred
to four thousand livres while in the same period
the king had spent on the rest of the work at Versailles
two hundred and thirty-eight thousand livres,
thirty-two sols, six deniers, nearly
one million one hundred thousand francs of the money
of to-day.
The first of the outdoor embellishments
of the palace at Versailles is the great Cour
Royale, or the Cour d’Honneur, which
opens out behind the long range of iron gates facing
upon the Place d’Armes. At the foot of
this entrance court is an extension called the Cour
de Marbre. This Cour de Marbre,
on January 5, 1757, was the scene of the infamous attack
on Louis XV by Damiens, just as the king was starting
out for the Trianon.
A thick redingote saved the king’s
life; but for “this mere pin-prick,” according
to Voltaire, the monarch went immediately to bed, and
five times in succession sought absolution for his
sins. Sins lay heavy even on royal heads in those
days.
Damiens was but a thick-witted, superstitious
valet, who, more or less persecuted by the noble employers
with whom he had been in service at various times,
sought to avenge himself, not on them, but on their
king, as the figurehead of all that was rotten in
the social hierarchy. Louis, heretofore known
as the “Bien Aime,” had become suddenly
unpopular because of the disastrous war against England
and Germany, and his prodigal dissipation of public
moneys.
Stretching out behind the palace are
the famous gardens, the parterres, the tapis
vert, the fountains and the grand canal, with
the park of the Trianons off to the right.
Good fortune came to Louis XIV when
he found Andre Le Notre, for it was he and no other
who traced the general lines of the garden of the
Versailles which was to be. He laid a generous
hand upon the park and forest which had surrounded
the manor of Louis XIII, and extended the garden to
the furthermost limits of his ingenuity. Modifications
were rapid, and from 1664 the parterres and
the greensward took on entirely new forms and effects.
The Parterre des Reservoirs became the
Parterre du Nord, and an alley of four rows of lindens
enclosed the park on all sides. The Parterre
a Fleurs, or the Jardin du Roy, between the chateau
and the Orangerie, was laid out anew.
By the following year the park began
to take on the homogeneity which it had hitherto lacked.
The great Rondeau, as it was called, and which became
later the Bassin du Dragon, was excavated, and the
Jardin Bas, or the Nouveau Parterre, with an oval
depression, was also planned.
At one end of the park was the celebrated
Menagerie du Roy, where the rare and exotic animals
collected by the monarch had “a palace more
magnificent than the home of any other dumb animals
in the world.” This was the first period
of formal garden construction at Versailles, and it
was also the period when the first great impetus was
given to sculptural decoration.
In 1679, following a journey in Italy,
Le Notre took up again the work on the gardens at
Versailles, devoting himself to the region south of
the palace which hitherto had been ignored. This
was Le Notre’s most prolific period.
The creations at Versailles can be
divided into two distinct epochs, that before 1670
and that coming after. After Le Notre’s
generous design, the king and queen were seemingly
never satisfied with the endless plotting and planting
which was carried on beneath the windows of the palace,
and in many instances changed the colour schemes and
even the outlines of Le Notre’s original conceptions.
The Versailles of to-day is no longer
the Versailles of Louis XIII, so far as the actual
disposition of details goes. Then there was very
little green grass and much sand and gravel, a scheme
of decoration which entered largely into the seventeenth
century garden. This refers principally to the
general effect, for Le Notre made much use of the
enclosing battery of lindens, chestnuts and elms of
a majestic and patriarchal grandeur which have since
been cut and replaced by smaller species of trees,
or not replaced at all.
No sooner were the ornamental gardens
planned at Versailles than the Potager du Roy, or
fruit and vegetable garden, was created. This
same garden exists to-day with almost its former outlines.
Here a soil sufficiently humid, and yet sufficiently
well drained, contributed not a little towards the
success of this most celebrated of all kitchen gardens
the world has known.
The work of installing a further system
of artificial drainage was immediately begun, and
the Eaux des Suisses was created, to take
the place of a former stagnant pool near by.
Undoubtedly it was a stupendous work, like all the
projects launched with regard to Versailles, but,
like the others, it was brought to a speedy and successful
conclusion. The details of the history of this
royal vegetable garden are fully set forth in a work
published in 1690 by the son of the designer, the Abbe
Michel de la Quintinye, in two bulky volumes.
“It was meet that a royal vegetable garden should
have been designed by a ‘Gentleman Gardener,’”
said the faithful biographer in his foreword, and as
such the man and the work are to be considered here.
The work was accomplished by the combined
efforts of a gracious talent and the expenditure of
much money, put at La Quintinye’s disposition
by his royal master, who had but to put his hand deep
into the coffers of the royal treasury to draw it
forth filled with gold. Critics have said that
La Quintinye’s ability stopped with the preparation
of the soil, and with the design of the garden, rather
than with the actual cultivation, but at all events
it was he who made the garden possible.
La Quintinye adopted Arnauld d’Andilly’s
method of planting fruit trees en espalier
by training them against a wall-like background, and
to accomplish this divided the garden plot, which
covered an area of eight hectares (twenty acres),
into a great number of subdivisions enclosed by walls,
in order to multiply to as great an extent as possible
the available space to be used for the espaliers.
Again, these same walls served to shelter certain
varieties which were planted close against them.
If this Potager du Roy was not actually the first garden
of its class so laid out, it was certainly one of
the most extensive and the most successful up to that
time.
The great terraces of at least two
metres in width surrounded the central garden, leaving
a free area for the latter which approximated three
hectares.
These terraces were divided into twenty-eight
compartments, forming nine distinct varieties of gardens.
The celebrated gardener of Louis XIV
sought not only to obtain fruits and vegetables of
a superior quality and an abundant quantity, but was
the first among his kind to produce early vegetables,
or primeurs, in any considerable quantity,
and, by a process of forced culture, he was able to
put upon the table of the monarch asparagus in December,
lettuce in January, cauliflower in March and strawberries
in April. All these may be found at the Paris
markets to-day, and at these seasons, but the growing
of primeurs for the Paris markets has become
a great industry since the time it was first begun
at Versailles.
Of asparagus La Quintinye said, “It
is a vegetable that only kings can ever hope to eat.”
The Potager du Roy was begun in 1678,
and completed in 1683. It cost, all told, one
million one hundred and seventy thousand nine hundred
and eighty-three livres of which four hundred
and sixty-seven thousand three hundred and sixty-four
went for constructions in brick and stone, walls,
enclosures and drains. Its annual maintenance
(1685) amounted to twenty thousand nine hundred and
ninety-nine livres. The effort proved
one of great benefit to its creator, for La Quintinye,
at the completion of this work, received further commissions
of a like nature from the Prince de Conde, the Duc
de Montansier, Colbert, Fouquet and others.
So great a marvel was this vegetable
garden at Versailles that it was the object of a pilgrimage
of the Doge of Venice in 1685, and of the Siamese
ambassadors in the following year. The garden
has been preserved as an adjunct to Versailles up
to the present day. For two centuries its product
went to the “Service de Bouche” of the
chief of state, that is, the royal dinner table; but
in 1875 the Minister of Agriculture installed there
the French National Horticultural College, which to-day,
with a widened scope, has admitted ornamental plants
and trees to this famous garden. Nevertheless
the general outlines have been preserved, though certain
of the terraces have disappeared, as well as many of
the walls of the original enclosure, thus reducing
the number of garden plots; in fact but sixteen distinctly
defined gardens remain, including the Clos aux Asperges.
The general lines of the garden design
of Le Notre and Boyceau at Versailles are to be noted
to-day, but if anything the maintenance of the gardens
is hardly the equal of what it was in the time of Louis
XIV and a seeming disaster has fallen upon Versailles
as these lines are being written.
The military authorities have set
aside, as a site for an aerostation camp, some twenty-five
acres of the park near Rocquencourt. This is one
of the loveliest parts, shaded by magnificent trees
which, presumably, will have to be sacrificed, since,
if left standing, they would certainly interfere with
maneuvering with military aeroplanes, dirigibles and
balloons.
At a time when deforestation is recognized
to be one of the greatest dangers that menace a country’s
prosperity, one of its consequences being such inundations
as those which recently devastated Paris and the Seine
valley, it is regrettable that the forest surrounding
Versailles should be depleted.
Furthermore, the realization of the
project means a loss of revenue to the state which
at present derives some sixty thousand francs a year
from the farming lease of this portion of the park.
Therefore, for material considerations,
as well as because Versailles and its surroundings
should be preserved intact as a noble relic of one
of the grandest periods of French history, one of the
most beautiful creations of French genius, the project
attributed to the military authorities is short-sighted.
To diminish the attractions of Versailles would certainly
prove an unwise policy, as the stream of tourists,
which is the chief source of profit to Versailles
and its population, would inevitably be diverted to
some other channel.
Only a short time ago a Societe
des Amis de Versailles was created for the
purpose of safeguarding its artistic and natural beauties.
The government gave the organization its approbation
and there is something delightfully ironical in the
fact that the military authorities of the same government
are planning to destroy what the society, fathered
by the Ministere des Beaux Arts, was formed
to preserve.
Another modern aspect of the park
of Versailles was noted during the late winter when,
after a sharp freeze, all the youth of Paris had seemingly
gone out to Versailles for the skating only to be met
by a freshly-posted notice which read:
Defense
De Patiner Par
Arrête du 17 Decembre,
1849
These signs were posted here and there
about the park, in the courtyard, on the postern gate,
on trees, everywhere. The authorities were bound
that there should be no flagrant violation of the order
of 1849.
“You see,” said one of
the park guardians, “c’est defendu;
but as we are only two and the crowd is very large
we can do nothing.” This was evident.
Thousands overran the Grand Canal, which at its greatest
depth was scarcely more than a yard to the bottom,
and so, despite of monarchial decree, Republican France
still skates on the ornamental waters of Versailles
when occasion offers.
“N’oubliez pas le petit
balayeur, s’il vous plait,” was as
often heard as “Allez vous-en.”
On the whole it was rather a picturesque
sight. A thick haze hung over the now white “Tapis
Vert,” and the nude figures of the Bassin d’Apollon
were clothed in a mantle of snow, while the white-robed
statues of the Allee Royale, one could well
believe, shivered as one passed.
The fountains of Versailles, the “Grands
Eaux” and “Petits Eaux,” which shoot
their jets in air “semi-occasionally” for
the benefit of Paris’s “good papas”
and their children, are distinctly popular features,
and of an artistic worth neither less nor greater
than most garden accessories of the artificial order.
The fact that it costs something like ten thousand
francs to “play” these fountains seems
to be the chief memory which one retains of them in
operation, unless it be the crowds which make the
going and coming so uncomfortable.
The Orangerie lies just below
the terrace of the Parterre du Midi, and a thousand
or more non-bearing orange trees are scattered about.
They are descendants of fifteenth century ancestors,
it is claimed but doubtfully.
The great basin of water known as
the Eaux des Suisses was excavated by the
Swiss Guard of Louis XIV to serve the useful purpose
of irrigating the Potager du Roy, and as a decorative
effect of great value to that part of the garden upon
which faces the fourteen-hundred-foot front of the
palace.
Still farther off towards the Bois
de Satory, after crossing the Tapis Vert, lie the
famous Bassins de Latone and Apollon, the Bassin
du Miroir and, finally, the Grand Canal, with
one transverse branch leading to the Menagerie (now
the government stud-farm) and the other to the Trianons.
The satellite palaces known as the
Grand and Petit Trianons are, like the Palace of Versailles
itself, of such an abounding historical interest that
it were futile to attempt more than a mere intimation
of their comparative rank and aspect.
The rather sprawling, one-story, horseshoe-shaped
villa built by Louis XIV for Madame de Maintenon,
and known as the Grand Trianon, was an architectural
conception of Mansart’s.
It is worth remarking that the Grand
Trianon, to-day, is in a more nearly perfect state
than it has been for long past, for the restorations
lately made have removed certain interpolations manifestly
out of place.
It is due to M. de Nolhac, the Conservateur
du Musee de Versailles, that this happy amelioration
has been brought about and that Mansart’s admirable
work is again as it was in the days of Madame de Maintenon
and those of the later Napoleon I.
In spite of all this the Trianon of
to-day is not what it was in the eighteenth century.
“Madame de Maintenon,” said de Musset,
“made of Versailles an oratory, but La Pompadour
turned it into a boudoir.” He also called
the Trianon: “a tiny chateau of porcelain.”
It was, too, the boudoir of Madame de Montespan.
Louis XV, too, built, or furnished,
discreet boudoirs of this order on every hand.
More than one great gallery in which his elders had
done big things he divided and subdivided into minute
apartments and papered the walls, or painted them,
all colours of the rainbow, or hung them with silks
or velvets.
“Don’t you think my little
apartment shows good taste,” he asked one day
of the Comtesse de Serán at Versailles.
“Not at all,” she replied,
“I would much rather that the walls were hung
in blue.”
That particular apartment was in rose,
but, since blue was the favourite colour of the monarch,
the reply was but flattering. The next time that
his friend, the Comtesse, appeared on the scene
the apartment had all been done over in blue.
The monarch soon began to turn his
attention to the gardens. Bowers, labyrinths
and vases and statues were inexplicably mixed as in
a maze. He began to have the “gout pastoral,”
his biographer has said, a vogue that Madame du Barry
and Marie Antoinette came in time to push to its limits.
The king was too ready to admire all
that was suggested, all that was offered, and the
ultimate effect was well, it was the opposite
of what he hoped it to be, though doubtless he did
not realize it.
In the garden of the Grand Trianon
is a great basin with a cascade flowing down over
a sort of a high altar arrangement in red and white
marble called the Buffet de l’Architecture, and
evolved by Mansart. This architect certainly
succeeded much better with his purely architectural
conceptions than he did with interpolated decorative
elements intended to relieve a formal landscape.
The Petit Trianon, the pride of Louis
XV, was designed by the architect Gabriel, and its
reigning goddess was Marie Antoinette. Souvenirs
of the unhappy queen are many, but the caretakers
are evidently bored with their duties and hustle you
through the apartments with scant ceremony that they
may doze again undisturbed in their corners.
The garden of the Petit Trianon is
a veritable Jardin Anglais, that is, the decorative
portion, where sweeps and curves, as meaningless as
those one sees on banknotes and no more decorative,
are found in place of the majestic lines of the formal
garden when laid out after the French manner.
The Hameau, where is the dairy
where the queen played housewife and shepherdess,
is just to the rear of this bijou palace and looks
stagy and unreal enough to be the wings and back-drop
of a pastoral play.
Near Versailles was the Chateau de
Clagny, with a garden laid out by Le Notre, quite
the rival of many better known. Of it Madame de
Sevigne wrote: “It is the Palais d’Armide;
you know the manner of Le Notre; here he has done
his best.”
The Couvent des Recollettes,
just across the Bois de Satory, was built by Louis
XIV out of regard for the religieux whom he
displaced from an edifice which stood upon a plot
which was actually needed for the palace gardens.
The Chateaux of Noisy and Molineaux were also affiliated
with Versailles.
The rest of the surroundings and accessories
of Versailles are mere adjunctive details of those
chief features here mentioned. To catalogue them
even would be useless since they are all set down in
the guidebooks.